Switching from Papers3 to Zotero - some issues

Hi

I'm trying to switch from Papers3 to Zotero but each time I import my Papers library, I end up with loads (1000s) of duplicate entries in Zotero, also with duplicate PDFs associated with each one. In my papers library, there aren't duplicates so I think this is something that is happening at the import stage. I've tried importing as BibTEX and RIS but both produce the same issue. Does anyone have any tips for this particular problem, and more generally for a smooth transition between Papers3 and Zotero?

Thanks!
  • What exactly is the workflow you are following to export and import?
  • Hi - I did the following:

In Papers, I selected File -> Export -> BibTeX Library
    I saved this to my Downloads folder.

In Zotero, I then clicked File -> Import -> 'the file I just saved from papers above'

Is this what you mean?!

I'm not sure if this is relevant but my Papers3 library is saved on my Dropbox and syncs across my iMac and my Macbook Air (at home).

There is not a specific set of instructions associated with the move from Papers3 (that I am aware of), unlike for other reference managers (Mendeley etc).
  • For items that are duplicating, could you look into the RIS (or BibTeX) file and see if they are duplicate there, too?
  • Hi

They aren't duplicated in the papers.ris file

But it looks like Zotero has imported them twice as there are two (separate) time stamps associated with duplicated files.

Maybe the best bet is to delete the collection and import again?
  • Yeah, I'd just try re-importing. Rather than deleting everything in Zotero, you can just move the Zotero data directory and restart Zotero, which will start it with an empty database (provided you haven't set up sync yet).
  • Hi Adam

Thanks for the message.

I have set up sync, so how do I switch that off?

Also what do you mean by 'move the data directory'? Do you mean find the Zotero library on my HD and move it somewhere else (e.g. the desktop)?

Thanks!
    N
  • Yes. Just move it. When you open zotero with the folder empty, it will create a new empty database. Start over and import into that.
  • This worked - thanks!!