how to remove members from a group library

Do you remove the member? Yourself from the member's page? Where is there a one-page view of how the groups are organized and grouped?
  • On https://www.zotero.org/groups you have a link to "Member Settings" under every group for which you are administrator or owner. There is a "remove" option where you select a members role.
  • Got to the group page on zotero.org and click on Member Settings. You can delete members from there.
  • Great, thank you. I did this successfully with one group, but now a follow up question: if I remove a "group" created by one student, will that not delete that student's Zotero account?
  • No, the student controls their account. You can remove them from a group, and that has no impact on their account.
  • Great. Thanks! Problem solved.
  • Hi team,
    What happens if I remove someone from the specific group library?
    Will it purge local folders/files related to that specific group library that user would have synced?
  • @naman_h: I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you remove them from the group, they'll get prompted whether to keep a local archive of the group or remove it. Anything they uploaded will remain in the group.
  • I am using the unlimited storage option of Zotero subscription and using it for my team.This enables so that everyone works from single source and avoid duplication in referencing and transparent sharing across all team members.
    Now my issues is how do I handle potential unauthorized use of the data when someone leaves the organization? If any team member leaves, I will like to remove any data sync to any personal laptop other than organizational laptops.
    So my question is, can I force the purge of the any local data of the group library only when a team member is removed from group library? In the answer you said that they will be prompted to retain the local archives of the group. What if I want to purge any such local archive in any PC the user would have synced group library?

Other question: Can I limit any user so that they can sync to approved/authorized PCs only?
  • You can't purge a group library from someone's desktop, no, sorry. It also wouldn't make a lot of sense -- they could (even should) have a back-up of their database, they could simply disconnect from the internet after leaving their job in order to copy over information, they could export the group library to Zotero RDF, etc.
    There are systems that are designed to strictly prevent the removal of proprietary information from workplaces, but they're fairly specialized and Zotero isn't among them.

Also no way to restrict sync to specific devices either, sorry.