Sudden issue with Zotero superscripts

Hi everyone,

I have been having a recurring issue with Zotero. I am using the American Chemical Society style, which uses superscripts and endnotes. Once I insert a citation, it’s as if Zotero doesn’t recognize the superscript anymore and it just becomes regular text. For example, if I had citations 1, 2, 3 in text, and then inserted a new citation before them, they would not become 2, 3, 4. Instead they show up as 12, 23, 34. The old superscripts are kept as regular texts and the new ones added immediately after them, and so on. Further, if I try to edit a citation, I will highlight the superscript and click on “Edit Citation”, but I get an error saying, “You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it. I am using version 5.0.55 for Mac. I have used Zotero and this particular style for a few years with no issues until now. Help would be greatly appreciated as I am in the middle of a major paper with several references for my degree.

Kindest regards.
  • What specific version of Word are you using? This sounds a lot like a bug that appeared after a major Word update about a year ago, but has since been fixed.
  • (but I believe once corrupted, the only way to fix documents is to re-insert citations, right?)
  • Now that you mention that, yes I think you are right. That was an unfortunate problem with that Word bug. New documents will be unaffected.
  • Thank you for the replies. I am using word version 16.15. If I have to re-insert all citations that's not the end of the world. I tried that before, but I still have the problem. I should note that it is also occurring with every new document I create.
  • That's no good. Is this specific to ACS style, or does this also happen with other superscripted numerical styles, e.g. Nature?
  • As far as I can tell it happens with all superscripted styles. I tried with Nature and it does the same thing.
  • Could you try updating Word. 16.16 came out in mid-August. I don't think that should make a difference, but always best to troubleshoot with up-to-date software.

Then, re-install the Word add-on from the "Cite" tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • Resolved! Thanks a ton!