Error when deleting a collection in a group library

Hello,

I recently received an error and submitted the following Report ID when trying to delete a parent folder of a collection within a group library: 1975618242.

Thank you for your support!
  • disk I/O error
    Do you have your Zotero data directory in a standard folder on your local hard drive, or do you have it in a cloud storage folder or network drive? Usually this message points to the latter.
  • The latter, thank you - I just wanted to do due diligence to support the community and report if this error was unknown. I was able to restart and successfully delete the collection, then the parent, then the files.
  • Which, exactly? You absolutely shouldn't have your data directory in Dropbox or similar. If it's on a network drive, that's usually OK, but you may occasionally run into problems like this depending on how the network drive behaves, and I would recommend regular backups of your data.
  • My apologies - my use of the term "latter" was ambiguous. It is on a network drive, which is backed up regularly. Perhaps it is better if the library is stored locally on the C: drive to avoid these types of errors?
  • Yes, it is — though, again, a network drive usually works fine. Basically, the database layer used in Zotero (and Firefox, and many other programs) expects the drive to behave in a certain way, and network drives don't always perfectly emulate that. So if storing on the local drive is an option, that's certainly better, but you might be OK this way.