Special characters in Bibtex export

Hi all,

I have had that problem for a while now and have been OK with manually fixing the .bib file so far, but it is getting tedious with more and more of my entries having the issue.
Some special characters (e.g. the Polish ł) get exported as a question mark. Since other special characters get exported correctly to their TeX encoding (e.g. the croatian ć gets exported as \'{c}, I assume it should be possible to stick the correct TeX encoding for the characters that don't have them yet (for ł, the code is \l{} and \L{} for the capital equivalent).

Regards,
Francois
  • edited June 5, 2009
    Are you choosing an encoding other than UTF-8 on export (which would've required you to have enabled the character set option in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs)? You shouldn't get question marks unless you are. There's a very large mapping table in the BibTeX translator (translators/BibTeX.js in your Zotero data directory), but it doesn't cover everything. Feel free to submit a patch to zotero-dev.
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

I was indeed using "UTF-8 without BOM". Using UTF-8 corrects the issue by just exporting the characters as they are. I will be using it from now on, I guess, and until I need to do otherwise.
    When I have the time, I will go through the mapping table and add some of the missing characters. Promise.
  • Oh, that's a bug, then. "UTF-8 without BOM" just leaves out the Byte Order Mark at the beginning of the file—it should still pass through Unicode characters as is. But the check is probably for "UTF-8" specifically.

We'll fix this. Thanks.