AGLC 4 is on the way

The 4th edition of the Australian Guide to Legal Citation is on the way in the next month or so. I've seen part of the 4th edition in draft form, but not 100% sure of all changes yet. I thought this might be a good opportunity to talk about what types of documents aren't currently easy to cite, what kind of workarounds you've been employing and whether we can tackle any of these with the new style.

I'm keen to help improve the style but I'm at 101 stage for style editing. There's also no point proceeding without talking to other users. How are you using it and where are your points of pain? Big ones for me are looseleafs, Hansard, international materials, gazettes and a few others. If this is something people want to talk about I'm happy to share an editable document to track it.

• You're aware of https://www.zotero.org/groups/684844/aglc_samples/items/ which is a sample library for data entry for the 3rd edition style?
  • Ah, I'd seen it but wasn't sure what that was for. So I can add examples to this group?
  • The group is intended as the official reference group for the style -- it uses the reference examples from AGLC3 and shows how to enter data to get the formatting specified in the guide.
  • I've got my AGLC 4 and keen to coordinate with others for authoring a new style - separate conversation from finding work arounds for legal documents not served by the existing style.

Is this the type of thing users generally work on together? How has the community handled it before?
  • Typically one person codes the style and then adjusts based on feedback. The actual creation of a CSL style doesn´t lend itself well to collaboration. The only question to answer before submitting a pull request would be whether it would make sense to keep an AGLC3 style (because e.g. some journals will still require it) or to just replace it.
  • Hi StinaW and adamsmith,

Adamsmith and I worked on the original AGLC3 - happy to do so again if you are keen.
  • The MelbLR has released a summary of changes document which would be really helpful to use as the basis for edits. I can collate a list of the changes to make an AGLC4 style.
  • edited 25 days ago
    From my end, if I were going to fully take this on, I'd need some funding again. If someone else, like Stina, wanted to work on it but needed occasional advice, I'd be happy to do that for free.

Edit: the former is assuming that the changes are fairly significant. If it's just a couple of tweaks I can obviously just make them.
  • thanks for that adamsmith - absolutely understand this and will pursue some funding in the meantime.

I will review the changes and see what they are slated to be and update shortly.
    David
  • Hi @adamsmith I think I've wrangled up some funding to help this get going - are you able to email me at all? david.carter [at[ uts.edu.au

Cheers

Dc
  • Hi @StinaW hope you are well.

Keen to have a chat about this and to put together a list of high priority changes we should look at embedding into the AGLC4. I have a confidential copy of the new version which we can work from to develop this. Would you mind emailing me at all - you can find my address at my UTS Law Faculty profile (just don't want to write it up here from spammers).

David Carter
    https://www.uts.edu.au/staff/david.carter