right-click in Zotero results in misplaced / oversized menu window on 2nd screen

I latest versions of Zotero and High Sierra. I'm using a 13" Macbook, with two screens (Macbook screen to the left, external monitor to the right). Zotero resides in the left window.

It frequently happens that a right-click on a list of bib-items in the zotero main window brings up the resulting "action menu" on the right screen (external monitor), at a significantly increased size.

This does not happen all the time, it happens (reproducibly, all the time) whenever I click in the lower-right region of the zotero window. If I click more to the left / top, the action menu appears where it should be, i.e. to the right of the mouse pointer.

Have a look at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqy84xbr1cfcmov/correctly placed action menu.pdf?dl=0
for a "correctly placed action menu", and at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pvfq2so4hc9hjt/misplaced action menu.pdf?dl=0
for a "misplaced action menu".

The misplaced action menu was obtained by clicken on the open item in the list (the paper by Durox et al).

I've observed this but end of 2017. Back then I did not use the latest version of MacOS, so you suggested that I upgrade to HighSierra. I did that now - problem not solved.

please have a look, fix the bug.

thank you,

Wolfgang
  • I think this has to do with the external monitor having a different scaling than the laptop screen. When I connect a non-high DPI MacBook Air to a 1080p external monitor (both with 100% scaling), the context menu scaling and placement are correct. But when I connect a high DPI laptop (200% scaling) to a non-HDPI monitor (100% scaling), the context menu often appears on the wrong monitor and with the wrong scaling (this seems to be the case in the images above as well). Other Zotero popup windows are also incorrectly scaled on the external monitor.
  • Dear bwiernik - thanks for responding so quickly.

Your are correct, my Macbook is a Pro with Retina, my external monitor an old 1080p. And yes, other popup windows are also misplaced.

Buying a 4K external monitor would be an (expensive) solution? Is there anything you can / want to do that does not require new hardware?

yours,

Wolfgang
  • I’m not a Zotero developer, just a user. I’m just adding some details about what I think the issue is for when a developer looks into it.