RTF-ODF Extension

I have managed to input the add on and copy into translator the scannable cite, and produce odt files with the markers and the citations. However, when I open it in MSword i am unable to edit the citations as normal. Is this how it is? IS the citation only editable in libreoffice?
  • Yes, you need to open the ODT in LibreOffice. If you want to use Word instead:
    1. Open in LibreOffice
    2. Click Document Preferences in the Zotero toolbar
    3. Change the "Store citations as" option from "ReferenceMarks" to "Bookmarks"
    4. Save the file as .docx
    5. Open the .docx file in Word
    6. Open Document Preferences again and switch from "Bookmarks" to "Fields"
  • Thankyou, I have managed to do that. Just a question, in your experience - how reliable is this process? Does it always work? does it sometimes corrupt the footnotes?
  • The only time you might run into trouble with these steps is if you have citations inserted into tables or footnotes. Bookmarks are less stable than ReferenceMarks/Fields, but for just switching to move between Word and LibreOffice you shouldn’t have any issues.
  • I understand that using a citation style with footnortes doesn't allow for the bookmark option to be selected, yet I need a footnote style. So what I did was convert it in an author date style and then in word I chnaged the style and it worked, even preserving my suffix comments. Don't know if that can corrupt them?
  • Nope, no danger of corruption there. What you did was exactly the sequence you want.
  • This has worked until now, when I realised there is another issue. Zotero footnotes come out fine but other footnotes, without a zotero citation appear in a different format and so what you have are all the zotero citations in correct order, punctuated by other footnotes in another order beginning from 1, etc. Any ideas on how to rectify this?
  • That can't be right. Zotero uses the same footnotes as Word. It's literally not possible to have two separately numbered types of footnotes. Make sure you're actually using a footnote style like Chicago Manual and not just a superscript numeric bibliography like Vancouver.
  • The issue is that I'm using this scrivener-zotero work around, through to word described above.
    I have so far managed to maintain the footnote style (without zotero) using an rtf compile from scrivener, but for the above I need ODT as I understand
  • Same thing though -- I don't believe you can have separate footnote systems in Libre Office. Could you explain at what step you are right now and which citation style you're using?
  • Chicago - note. I compile from Scrivener into ODT, then run the ODT through the add-on and open the ODT file in Libreoffice. When i do so the zotero footnotes are there in order but then there are other notes that are different numbering and out of order. When i convert it to a docx file the same thing.
    As far as I can tell the only way to preserve the footnotes as a footnote in word is to export from scrivener to RTF. But if I do that then this work around won't work.
  • Ah OK, yes, there is a footnote problem with Scrivener and ODT (i.e. their ODT export is broken). You can easily work around that by exporting from Scrivener to RTF, open in LibreOffice before any scanning and simply save as .odt (with no other changes), then run the scan, open the scanned doc in LibreOffice and set citation style.