cementing multiple name in zotero for biblatex

I want to cite someone whose last name is "van der Hoop". For privacy, I'll say the first name is "John". When I enter that as the last name and export to biblatex, I get
author = {van der Hoop, John}
and then latex with biblatex will enter this in the bibliography as
Hoop, J. van der
placed alongside other bibliographic entries starting with "H". I can see how that makes sense in some contexts. However, this author typesets it as
van der Hoop, J.
and places it with other entries starting with "v".

I want to honour the author's intention. This sort of thing is easy to accomplish, for any individual name, with tilde and brace characters. I tried inserting such things in my zotero entry, but they get escaped, so the output from latex is not at all what I want.

At the moment, I am simply using a Makefile with a sed script to fix up the .bib file before I do the the latex operation. So, I am basically OK, but I'd like to learn a cleaner solution, to help my students who would like to switch from hand-edited .bib files to using zotero.

Although I've done a fair bit of searching, I've not uncovered a solution at the user level. I must be missing something, because this must be a common need. Any advice, kind zoteroers?
  • What is the format in BibTeX to indicate that the particles should not drop?
  • The bibtex format I normally use is

author = {van~der~Hoop, John},
  • First try to install the BetterBibTeX plugin and export using its Better BibTeX or Better BibLaTex formats. In general, the BBT plugin makes working with BibTeX in Zotero much better.

@emilianoeheyns How does BBT handle dropping versus non-dropping particles on export? Is there a standard method for indicating each form of particle or specifying in the the BibTeX style how to handle particles?
  • @bwiernik Sorry, but I cannot use BetterBibTeX export because it produces an error "An error occured while trying to export the selected file" on my machine. (The machine is macOS Mojave 10.14 beta 18A371a and my zotero is 5.0.55. However, this error has been present for several months, going back several versions of both the OS and zotero.)
  • edited August 25, 2018
    @dankelly I don't know which issue this is on the BBT issue tracker. The only open macos-related error is https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues/863; the workaround for that (for now) is to cmd-quit Zotero rather than clicking the red dot. Otherwise I have no idea what error this could be. I'd appreciate your help in getting it addressed.

@bwiernik the particle handling in BBT varies, and it's not easy to explain succinctly, but here goes:

For BibTeX, if there's a non-dropping particle, the NDP + surname get wrapped in protective braces. If there's a dropping-particle, that gets put before the the surname, or the wrapped NDP + surname. If you enable "Disregard name prefixes when sorting", I add a "{\noopsort{[name without any particles]}". In general terms, if name particles are important to you, don't use BibTeX.

For BibLaTeX, if you have enabled "Use BibLaTeX extended name format", the particles get put in "prefix"; if not, they're output as DP + NDP + surname.
  • @emilianoeheyns Thanks. I did command-Q to quite zotero, and relaunched. Now I can export, although it is using the BBT keys, which would be fine except I have a document using BT keys. I cannot seem to see a way to regenerate the keys. I have followed menu thread 'Preferences/Better BibTex/Citation Keys' and set 'Citation key format' to '[zotero:clean]' and then followed thread 'Preferences/Better BibTex/Advanced' and clicked on 'Re-scan citekeys', to no effect. (The colour of the button changes back to original in sub-second time, which suggests to me that it cannot actually be rescanning my database.) I tried quitting the app and retrying. Somewhere, I saw some advice about right-clicking or command-clicking, but was unsure where to do that.

I am good with my vim editor (used vi before, ex before that ... showing my age here) so I can easily change my .tex document to the BBT key format, but I am pretty sure BBT is actually set up to alter keys, and I'm just not seeing how. For a record to be helpful to other users, therefore, I am asking for advice on how to rescan the keys.

PS. I am still unsure what I'll be doing differently, now in BBT, to solve my original problem. But I'm happy to continue on this side-track of getting BBT to work, because I am convinced, based on my scanning its documentation, that it truly is a significant advance over BT, so I'd like to do my part in testing how the docs look to a new user.
  • @dankelley Sorry, this is an answer to my question about rescanning. The solution is to (1) select all the items to be rescanned, in the middle zotero window, (2) right-click the mouse on any one of these items, (3) select the 'Better BibTex' item (NOTE: there is no item named 'Better BibLaTex'), and (4) select 'Refresh BibTex Key'. And that does it -- I now have my old citation keys back!

PS. I am still uncertain of how I can use BetterBibLaTeX to solve my original problem relating to controlling where compound names get subdivided.
  • The menu item is perhaps a little confusing -- the name of my extension is "Better BibTeX", and that extension hosts several exporters, one of which is named "Better BibTeX". The name in the menu refers to the extension, not the translator.

Re-scan citekeys was misnamed -- it re-scans for pinned citekeys only. The next release will make that clearer.

WRT the particles -- biblatex should mostly just do the right thing, but if you're on a recent (3.5+) biblatex, enable "extended name format" should get you the best results. If you're on bibtex, the noopsoort on the bare lastname ("Disregard name prefixes when sorting") is all there currently is. If you want something different, we can talk about that, but I prefer to have that conversation on my issue tracker (https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues) on a new issue.

I'm looking again at the macos soft-close problem (I really, really hate this behavior from macos), but since I don't know exactly what's happening under the hood, and I only have a VM to test, it's slow going.
  • I am finding that all works well, now. I think part of my problem was in getting confused between "Better BibTeX" and "Better BibLaTeX". If I export with the former, I get the keys I want.

I am not too familiar with how to use this zotero forum. I'd be inclined to "close" this issue, because my original query has been addressed, but I don't see anything that will let me close it...
  • Better BibTeX and Better BibLaTeX will export the same keys. Just plain BibTeX and plain BibLaTeX will export different keys.

Just leave the thread as it is. Only the zotero crew can close threads, not us.
  • I have a potential fix for the soft-close problem at https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues/863, if you could verify that it solves the problem for you (seems to for me), that'd be great.
  • The benefits of this method include being able to keep your .bib file automatically updating as new references are added to the Zotero manager. In the simple method, the user has to re download the .bib file each time they need to add a new reference.