Help: my bibliography is formatted in a block

Hello. I use APA for citation. For correctly depicting my citations in text I need the English set-up in my preferences. When I subsequently create my bibliography at the end of the text, all authors are listed as a whole block, as you can see ins the following:

American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (Fifth Edition). American Psychiatric Association. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596
Bob, M. H., Popescu, C. A., Armean, M. S., Suciu, S. M., & Buzoianu, A. D. (2014). Ethical views, attitudes and reactions of Romanian medical students to the dissecting room. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi, 118, 1078–1085.
Boeckers, A., Brinkmann, A., Jerg-Bretzke, L., Lamp, C., Traue, H. C., & Boeckers, T. M. (2010). How can we deal with mental distress in the dissection room?—An evaluation of the need for psychological support. Annals of Anatomy - Anatomischer Anzeiger, 192(6), 366–372. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aanat.2010.08.002

If I switch language to German, the bibliography style is correct (2nd and 3rd line are indented, line pitch is double spaced), but citations in text are written wrong (with "u.a." instead of "et al.").

I have already reinstalled my zotero two weeks ago in order to resolve that problem, but I failed to do so. I already have my add-ons activated.

Who can help me :)

• Change to a different citation style and back.
  • edited August 23, 2018
    Thanks for the comment. Well, I am actually trying to solve that by a more convenient procedure.
    In the past I always switched at the end of the paper to German, in order to generate a well-formatted bibliography, and then switched back to English. Still, I cannot imagine, that this is the way Zotero prescribes. My friend has Zotero as well, and he does not share my problem at all (he also tried to help me, but could not find a solution).

So, I am looking forward to reading more advices :) Or is there none?
  • The paragraph formatting of the bibliography is controlled by the Word “Bibliography” Quick Style. At some point, your document changed that formatting style (e.g., you may have changed it manually or it may have gotten changed through some weird behavior in Word or when you modified Normal or another style). Zotero sets the parameters for the Bibliography style when you set the citation style, so the fastest way to restore the default formatting for a style is to switch to a different style and back. Alternatively, you can manually change the parameters of the Bibliography Word style.
  • Thanks for responding. But unfortunately that does not help - if I switch back and forth, zotero sometimes changes my citations in text (e.g.
    Bob et al., 2010 -> Bob u.a., 2010

Sometimes it does not.

• Also, it can not be the solution to always switch back and forth (and it does not work). My friend ´s got Zotero on mac as well and does no know my problem. He also controlled for settings and has no clue, why zotero is switching in language. Probably have to change citation programme..
  • The changing from et al to u a is because you have the new citation style set to format in German instead of English. You can change that in the Document Preferences page as well.

As I said, above, the paragraph formatting is controlled by the Word “Bibliography” formatting style. Zotero sets this when you pick a citation style, but if you modify the Word styles Bibliography or Normal styles, the formatting of your bibliography can change. You can either manually modify the Bibliography Word style again or change the citation style to something else and back to have Zotero do it automatically.

Obviously use whatever program you want, but all of the citation programs work in exactly the same way here, so this behavior will be the same regardless of which program you use.
  • Thanks for your message.
    I tried Mendeley, and the programme gives me exactly the citation style and style of bibliography like I want it to be. No need for changing styles in between. So maybe there has been an understanding in our discussion above? You said, every programme works like that - but I rather think, that there is a problem with the compatibility with Zotero. Well, I´d rather use Zotero, but that style problem really steels a lot of time :)
  • As I've said several times, Zotero sets the paragraph formatting for the bibliography when you set the citation style (I believe Mendeley only sets it at this time as well). If you change the formatting of the Word Bibliography style in the mean time, Zotero doesn't check that to reset it until you tell it to use a new style. But if you don't modify the formatting styles in Word, the bibliography formatting won't change.

In any event, I really don't understand why you are encountering this frequently at all. Generally, I'd recommend not even inserting the bibliography until you are finished writing the document.
  • Okay, thanks so much for your advices.