Issues with saving articles to Zotero via 'Embedded Metadata' extension on Google Chrome

As the title indicates, I am now having trouble saving PDF articles via the google chrome extension on journal websites that I had no trouble saving as of a week ago. Prior to the issue, I was able to go to a journal website, press the button for the extension, and more often than not it would save the full text PDF. Also prior to the issue, if I was unable to get the full text PDF via the website, I was able to open up the PDF - or download it - and then press the extension button, and I would be able to obtain the full text PDF.

Now however, I am not only unable to extract the PDF from the journal website (I get denied, with an X that simply indicates I could not acquire it), but I am also unable to obtain it through downloading the PDF and then hitting the button. In the case of the latter I don't get an X, but rather an error message which says "An error occurred while saving this item. Try again, and if the issue persists see Getting Help for more information."

This seemed to coincide with the time of the last Zotero update, but I can't confirm this is the cause. Can anyone weigh in on this issue?
  • While going through the Troubleshooting Translator Errors, I attempted to update translators but I'm not getting any response.

There is a bunch of script in the 'Report Errors' section however that I can't make sense of. I apologize if this is a mess but maybe it will provide some info on the issue:
    [JavaScript Error: "Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist."]

[JavaScript Error: "No tab with id: 8."]

[JavaScript Error: "Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist."]

[JavaScript Error: "Error
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/connector.js:322:49"]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Localized string 'date.daySuffixes' not defined
    at Object.getString (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/i18n.js:40:20)
    at Object.getString (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero.js:314:22)
    at Zotero.Utilities.Translate.strToDate (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/date.js:460:49)
    at Zotero.Utilities.Translate.strToISO (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/date.js:627:19)
    at Function.strToISO (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:89:17)
    at complementItem (eval at (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:63:4), :103:18)
    at eval (eval at (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:63:4), :202:11)
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js:374:8
    at Zotero.Translate.Import._runHandler (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js:1108:32)
    at run (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js:159:23)" {file: "[object Object]"}]

• Also, both my Google Chrome and Zotero (5.0.55) versions are up to date, and I don't believe it is a 'known translator issue' because it is not working on sites that previously did work. I don't have any other extensions for my browser, nor have I changed my browser privacy settings. Finally, the zotero icon is not always a page and changes to a various other icons like a PDF, or a folder.
  • Please provide an URL where it doesn't work as expected
  • The 2nd part of each example will surely prompt you for a username and password, so I'm not sure if this will be of any benefit to you. The URLs from the non-access journal articles and access granted articles are different.

I hope this helps!

Example 1)
    https://www.brainstimjrnl.com/article/S1935-861X(18)30135-9/pdf (this is the URL without access granted from my University)

https://journals-scholarsportal-info.subzero.lib.uoguelph.ca/pdf/1935861x/v11i0004/921_apsobndbsitd.xml
    (this is the URL with access granted to the full article via my University, I don't think you will be able to open it.)

Example 2)
    https://www.jad-journal.com/article/S0165-0327(17)31755-X/pdf (without access)

https://journals-scholarsportal-info.subzero.lib.uoguelph.ca/pdf/01650327/v232icomplete/79_earsinfltass.xml (with access)