stop syncing and freeing up space

Hi. Free space quote has been filled, if one stops syncing attached files, do the existing files remain in the online space, or do they get hosed? Or, if after stopping sync, does one have to manually delete attachments from the online account? (asking for someone else, don't want to try on my own account). thanks.
  • When you stop syncing, all files currently on the server stay there. Note it you actually delete attachments online, those _will_ be deleted locally if you ever re-enable sync.

It's not quite clear to me why you'd want to free up space if you stop syncing, though?
  • thanks, that's helpful. I think she is getting the quota reached message and perhaps wants to delete enough to go below the limit, to stop that message (??). In any case, I will let her know her options
  • just disabling _file_ sync will stop the quota message. She can continue to sync Zotero data (and I'd typically recommend that she does).
  • perfect, thx!
  • I'm afraid that I have a similar issue. I ventured to delete files in the local folder (where I can sort by storage space used), but realized quickly that this could well be (could be) fruitless on the other end to reduce storage use below the 300 MB quota (I think I saw some evidence of the syncing trying to restore what I deleted locally, but am also seeing some files not returning, as I wanted, but am not seeing storage usage nominally drop after having deleted a lot). Is there a relatively efficient way to "thin the herd" of the files I've been keeping from the website, or desktop app, sorting by storage space used? Is there a way to show storage space used when I view my library online? I am indeed considering the pay version for more storage, but would necessarily want to know/see more about storage to manage to that next-tier quota. Please help.
  • Yeah, simply deleting files locally won't affect your synced storage at all.

Currently, you'd need to sort by space used in the local filesystem, paste the 8-character folder name into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode to find the associated attachment, and delete it. When you're done deleting attachments, empty the trash.
  • I only want to sync part of my library, keeping the rest as local storage only. What is the best way to do that? If I start a new storage folder locally but only use it for the folder to sync? If so can I switch local folders to see my complete library?
  • The need to sync only some folders is that syncing costs more money than I need to sync. That is, I want to lower my syncing costs by keeping the entire library but only syncing/storing the active library.
  • sorry, not possible. You can disable file sync entirely, you can link to some larger files instead of storing them, you can sync using webDAV, so there are lots of ways you can save money/prevent paying, but selectively syncing files in your library isn't one of them.
  • So, there would not be a way to archive part of the library (such as moving to a different storage location? Maybe the question is, do I even need to sync the library, that is. a local copy, if disconnected from sync, will always remain accessible?
  • A local copy is always available. But if you have more than one local copy (on two different computers), then you need to sync to keep them concurrent.

Just to confirm, do you know that only the attachments count towards your storage size? You can also create a group and move the files you do not want to sync (or want to) there and select which libraries you want to sync (edit > preferences > sync).
  • edited November 20, 2018
    Thank you for explaining this. I was wondering if a group of the library files could be the only set to sync. Otherwise, my earlier library is just on my home computer so I don't need to sync between home and work except for the active collection.