Word 2011 for Mac Zotero button responds second time

The plugin works consistently, but I usually have to click the buttons (any of them) twice to make them respond. It's like once to get its attention and then another time to perform the action.

I've gotten used to this so it doesn't really get in my way, but I thought I'd ask about it.

My guess would be that Word/Zotero is busy processing and so there's a delay. And once in a while it seems to work on the first click. But usually it seems to take two clicks, no matter how long I wait.

Is this a known issue, or would it be helpful to have more information to debug it? Again, it isn't a priority for me but I'm just writing now out of curiosity.
  • We haven't had any reports of this that I can recall. How long have you actually waited before clicking the second time? There can sometimes be a delay, particularly the first time you use the plugin since starting Zotero, so it's more likely that you're just clicking again while it's busy.

You can open the debug output window from Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output to keep a window open that will show you when things are actually happening, which may make it easier to debug this.
  • edited August 11, 2018
    How long have you actually waited before clicking the second time?
    It depends. Sometimes I'm basically in the habit of double-clicking, while others I might reclick after a few seconds, or longer if it hasn't responded yet. It doesn't seem to be a function of how long I wait, and there's no negative effect (not that I've noticed yet anyway) from clicking twice so I don't avoid doing that either.
    There can sometimes be a delay, particularly the first time you use the plugin since starting Zotero, so it's more likely that you're just clicking again while it's busy.
    No, that's not it. There can be a slower or faster response different times, but that's independent of how many times I click as far as I can tell. (And sometimes one click just gets no response at all, except possibly to activate Zotero.)
    You can open the debug output window from Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output to keep a window open that will show you when things are actually happening, which may make it easier to debug this.
    OK, I'll try that.

Oddly enough for whatever reason (maybe my computer is running faster at the moment in general) it's not delayed right now, and works quickly on a single click. It's almost like it was responding faster because debug was open, not that that makes any sense. Maybe it was because Zotero was recently in focus? I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can get some debugging results to share.

All of that combined, maybe OSX is somehow letting Zotero sleep in the background and it needs to get activated in order to respond quickly? I don't know that it would work like that, but it could explain some of the quirks mentioned above.

As I said, I'm just curious and this is at worst mildly inconvenient (really just puzzling), so I'm not too concerned, but if it's a bug I'm happy to see if I can give you the debugging info.