Zotero crashes Microsoft Word

Hello,

I have written in the past about this issue. I was advised to update to the latest version of Word 16.15, which I did, but the problem still remains.

The problem is this:
I am writing text on Microsoft word (it's a small text, around 1350 words). I am trying to enter a citation using word's extension button.

Then the cursor shows that Zotero is 'downloading' and Microsoft Word freezes.
I wait 2-3 minutes and then an error message comes up and Word exits automatically.

If I am working on Microsoft Word for 8 hours, this happens once or twice. And I am now forced to use small documents. When editing my chapter (12.000 words) Zotero is impossible to use as it freezes repetitively.

Is there any idea why this is happening? Is there anything in particular which I should observe in order to understand what might trigger this freezing?

I understand that having 0 errors is rather an impossible expectation from a software.
But I would appreciate any advice, as I have had this problem for about a month now. I am in the late stages of my thesis so I cannot switch to another software. These are interruptive and time-consuming issues and I would like to find a solution.
Any idea would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • And you're on Zotero 5.0.54 now, right? One thing worth trying is to re-install the Word add-on from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences. Apparently that didn't update properly in all versions of Zotero.

Otherwise, if you're able to capture one of those freezes with a debug ID from Zotero, that'd likely help to figure out what's going on. Obviously what you're seeing is not normal.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Unfortunately Word 16.9 and later introduced some changes that have made Zotero integration significantly slower. You can go in the Document Preferences and disable automatic citation updates, which should help. If possible, you could also try working with Zotero on a Windows machine, as Windows Word is significantly faster.