Zotfile PDF collection not accessible anymore? Triage help please?

edited August 7, 2018
Hi,

I have tried to access my bibliographic collection and now links stored in Zotero Standalone by Zotfile do not open the files anymore.

I have attempted to review and adjust all my settings but can't figure out how to point them at the right location.

I am using Zotero 5.0.35.1 and ZotFile 5.0.8 on Ubuntu Mate 16.04.

The Report Error does not show an error when it can't find the file. This is the only stuff it contains...

version => 5.0.35.1, platform => Linux x86_64, oscpu => Linux x86_64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.35.1, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.10.SA.5.0.35.1, extension), ZotFile (5.0.8, extension), Shockwave Flash (30.0.0.134, plugin), Shockwave Flash (11.2.202.569, plugin, disabled)

Locating a file works but the file name now contains the path, which is unusual; previously it just had a link symbol and the name and the underlying absolute/relative path details were hidden. Doing this for the 10K files I have in my collection is not realistic.

Using the console it appears as if the default zotfile collection directory has been lost or can't be referenced. The file path it references is an old path that was changed several years back. I have updated the zotfile preferences to the right directory location but the problem still persists. Where is the default zotero path stored? Can someone help triage this problem?

Cheers Simon

• ZotFile preferences only affect where files are changed, not from where they are opened, so having the folder there correctly only means that new files will be saved in the right place.

Start by checking your relative base directory in the Advanced/Files and Folder tab of the _Zotero_ preferences. If this has the old folder, change it and that should be it. If it is empty (or has the new folder), though, you'd have to first fix your links using Zutilo, which allows batch changes to filepaths:
    https://github.com/willsALMANJ/Zutilo/releases
  • edited August 7, 2018
    I checked the relative base directory in the Advanced/Files and Folder tab of the _Zotero_ preferences. This was the new folder.

I installed Zutilo, changed the preferences so I could see the context menu "Manage Attachments". I then selected all the references in *My Library* and changed the wrong path to the correct one.

To get the old path I just turned on debugging and tried to open an attachment from the _ZotFile_ collection. The error message showed the path+filename followed by the message that it could not be found. I then used this path to inform _Zutilo_ what string it should look for.

Thanks Adam your suggestion, it solved my problem quickly.
  • Also had this issue. Thanks, Simon, for detailing your process.