200 members in a group - Is that possible?

Greetings nice Zotero people;

I would like to create a group for my COMS2200 Big Data and Society class. There are about 200 students. Is that possible?

Also, what is the best ABC's of group projects on Zotero and also How To that I can add to the syllabus?

I would like to instill could data management practices earlier rather than later!

Thanks a million
Tracey
  • Yes, 200 group members is not a problem.

What exactly are you thinking of regarding group projects?
  • Although it somewhat depends. 200 _viewing_ group members are most definitely not a problem and on a purely technicall level, neither are 200 people editing a group. But practically, a group with 200 people changing references may well cause you headaches, depending on what exactly they do -- especially if they may e.g. be editing the same item.
  • Thanks Adam and BW;

I would like the students to learn about sharing resources and simply to create a bibliography together. I would get them to use their name as a tag so that they can extract their own contributions but I also want them to learn about group tagging.

I would normally work with a small group on a research project but thought that this might be a small way to teach crowdsourcing and collaboration.

It is quite possible though that they will all do it at the same time from the same university location.

Thank you
    Tracey
  • I would recommend that you demonstrate how to do various group functions in class using a large group library where you have editing privileges, but students only have viewing privileges. Then, to let the students practice, I'd recommend having students work on some sort of project in groups of 5-10.