slow word for mac plugin + weird double references

Hello,
I am running word for mac 16.15 (180709), zotero plugin (5.0.15.SA.5.0.54), and zotero 5.0.54. Quite honestly, I am wondering what I am doing wrong, since I do not believe this is how it is intended to work.

Adding a new reference in the 'quick' option takes 10-15 seconds. After I turned off 'automatic update citations'. I even turned off all background apps that I could, and I am running fine specs MBP from 2017 so it must be software issue.

I know that with a dissertation (250+ pages) it might get tad bit longer, but boy, it is already 2018 and I cannot spends 5+ hours just correcting my references in one chapter. There must be another way.

I am new to Zotero - until June I was using Mendeley, which was a breeze, until their lack of support for Sierra and High Sierra suddenly meant the app won't start anymore. I migrated my database and was pleasantly surprised Zotero did such a good job getting over the fields created in mendeley. Until I figured that ca 25 references have created 'fake doubles': Publication (2015a), Publication (2015b), even though there is just one entry in my database. Correcting it manually in the text works until I hit 'refresh', then it just returns to that. I tried different styles, reinstalling the plugin, but this issue also persists.

Anybody can help me out with that? Thanks so much. Daniel
  • I am afraid the Word 16.9+ update that hit at the start of this year really slowed down Word integration, I believe for Mendeley too. The speed of insertion depends both on the number of citations and the size of the document and is largely out of control of Zotero, since most of the time is spent in waiting for Word to complete various operations required for the integration. You might be experiencing something weird, in which case could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Insert a single citation into the document.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.

As for the "fake doubles", transferring your library to Zotero does not keep the connections to citations in your document. Instead, Zotero is getting citation data from information embedded in the document. Normally, when inserting a citation that already exists in the document, the citation dialog will display the one already in the document first, before listing ones in your library. This does not work in the classic citation dialog. Are you using that?
  • thanks for responding to my issue so thoroughly.

the debug ID is D752832172.
    It is possible that it is just a word integration issue, and I understand that your hands might be tied on that. Can I ask if upgrading to Mojave might change that, and if so, is it now safe to do that? Would zotero word plugin be supported on the day of official release in september?

about the other issue. I think what I have now is parallel set of references: old ones that were imported from Mendeley, and new ones that Zotero created themselves. They look slightly different (underlinings in Zotero) but they work just fine, however, in the bibliography they are seen as referring to two different works, and hence the doubles. On the citation dialog, there is just one position for each of 'doubles'. Is there any other way to solve it except recreating all references in one system (10% of all into Mendeley, but on a windows computer, or 90% on Zotero that works fine, but very slowly)?
  • As far as we know there are no issues with the current Mojave beta and Word integration.

As for your document, you have 400+ citations, which will make integration slow, especially on MacOS. Zotero integration on Windows is generally quite a bit faster, so you might want to look into that.

The underlining under citations indicates that they have been inserted with automatic citation updates disabled and their appearance is not final. To get the final citations and bibliography you will need to click "refresh" in the Zotero plugin. That will update all references in the document and will take care of the "duplicates" problem. With 400+ citations, this will be slow, but once again, there is little we can do to speed it up. As per above, doing it on Windows, if possible, is a worth a shot.
  • Thank you very much for clarifying to me how it works. I would wish it work better, but I understand that you operating in quite a bit of constraints. I checked that inserting a new reference in an empty file is faster (ca 3 sec) so this corroborates it is a scale issue. I do my best to avoid windows for a number of valid issues, but will look into that if needed in the future. And I will keep reading the release notes to see if in future version speed comes back to mac. Thanks!