Chicago 17 full note not displaying URLs for journal articles

Hi,

So my journal articles often have URLs attached, but when I generate a bibliography (Chicago 17th full note) those URLs are not included. I think Chicago expects them to be:

"If the article was published online, include the web address of the article, and then place the word “accessed”, along with the date on which you accessed the website (written in the format of “month day, year”) in parentheses. Conclude the citation with a period after the parentheses. For an article found in a database, cite it the same way you would an article published online: place the database URL in place of the website URL and cite the date on which you accessed the article.

Smith, John. “Studies in pop rocks and Coke.” Weird Science 12 (2009): 78-93. http://www.weirdscience.org/articles/id=1212 (accessed February 21, 2009)."

That said I don't have access to the Chicago manual online, that's Bibme's summary. Here's OWL:

Bent, Henry E. "Professionalization of the Ph.D. Degree.” College Composition and Communication 58, no. 4 (2007): 0-145. Accessed December 4, 2017. http://www.jstor.org/stable/1978286.

Is there any way the style could be edited--ideally globally, but if necessarily just locally on my machine as adding the URLs back individually is taking forever.

Thanks!
  • You would typically not -- and Chicago Manual doesn't ask you to -- include URLs for articles also published in print, regardless of how you obtain them. Chicago Manual also generally frowns on access dates.
  • I'm fine with no access dates. But I'd really like to include URLs so that people can access the cited articles (in this case digitized 19th century periodicals).

To get the URLs to display should I be calling published articles that also have URLs something else? What does Zotero do about online journals? There doesn't seem to be a category that fits.
  • Journal article is what you should do. Do you have the checkbox to “Include URL for paper articles” checked in the Cite pane of Zotero preferences?
  • I do have it, but I hadn't checked it as I didn't realize it was there. Now that it's checked it is including the URL. Thank you!