[Doc Type] Video Games

Hello everyone!

After some research on the internet, I found out that I couldn't create a new "document type".
The fact is, my research topic is on video games. And, as you might be aware of, there is no video game "document type". I could use the movie type, but it lacks a couple of useful fields.

Is there any chance to see the video game document type being added in the (near) future?

Many thanks for considering my request or at least letting me know about that.
  • I would generally use "Computer Program" for this. How exactly do you want your references to video games to look? What citation style are you using?
  • "Computer program" is not ideal as currently set up because the main field other than title and year is "Programmer". Current video game scholarship generally asks for the developer (typically a company, not an individual). So it should be _Overwatch_ (Blizzard Entertainment, 2016). Adding "Developer" to the pull-down that has Programmer and Contributor could solve this problem.
  • The labels for creators certainly aren’t ideal, but “Programmer” is mapped to “author” for citations. I’d just recommend storing “Blizzard” in single-field mode as Programmer.
  • Yes, that's the workaround I'm using. It might be nice to add a "Developer" label in the future if the item type is updated.
  • @bwiernik Is it possible to add "Developer" as a citeable field in the 'Extra' item type field?
  • No. There is no “Developer” variable in the CSL citation style language. But as I said above, “Developer” is conceptually just an author, just like Programmer. So just store the developer as Programmer, which is mapped to the CSL variable “author”. The label in the app isn’t ideal, but citations will come out correctly.