Adding editor category and special issue in a journal

Dear colleagues,

I am new to Zotero and have started populating my first library - beginning with all my publications.

I cannot see an option "Editor" for roles, which would be relevant for books or book sections or for journals or for special issues in journals.

Also, I can not see "Special issue" as a publication category. Posibly you could also consider "Encyclopedia" and "Encyclopedia entry" as two distinct publication categories.

Thank you,

Manja
  • Editor: By clicking on "Author" you can change it to editor, translator, contributor etc.

For which item type would this Special issue be?
  • Are you trying to cite the entire special issue or an article in it?

If the entire issue, use Journal Article and enter the title as the title of the special issue. Put “Medium: Special issue” in Extra.

If an article in the issue, use Journal Article and enter the article info as normal. Put “Special issue on [title of issue]” in the Series field.
  • edited July 8, 2019
    I'm reviving this thread.

There is a special journal issue I want to cite an article from.
    https://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/sites/crimeandjustice.org.uk/files/PSJ 221 September 2015.pdf

Trying different things with Zotero (swapping and/or removing volume & issue), I got these results below (item type: journal article). Which of them looks right to you?

Scott, D. G. (2015). Eating your insides out: Cultural, physical and institutionally-structured violence in the prison place. Prison Service Journal, (221), 58–62.
    [Volume: blank - Issue: 221]

Scott, D. G. (2015). Eating your insides out: Cultural, physical and institutionally-structured violence in the prison place. Prison Service Journal, 221, 58–62.
    [Volume: 221 - Issue: blank]

Scott, D. G. (2015). Eating your insides out: Cultural, physical and institutionally-structured violence in the prison place. Prison Service Journal, 221(Special edition), 58–62.
    [Volume: 221- Issue: Special edition]

Scott, D. G. (2015). Eating your insides out: Cultural, physical and institutionally-structured violence in the prison place. Prison Service Journal, Special edition(221), 58–62.
    [Volume: Special edition- Issue: 221]

The webpage where I found the article at, says that it should be cited as below, but I am not positive this is APA (because of them incuding the ISSN). Plus there is no "Volume" field, neither "Special edition" is mentioned anywhere.
    Scott, DG (2015) Eating your insides out: cultural, physical and institutionally-structured violence in the prison place. Prison Service Journal (221). pp. 58-62. ISSN 0300-3558

APA guidelines (https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/05/citing-a-special-issue-or-special-section-in-apa-style.html) say that we should use the editors instead, which doesn't make sence to me since there is an author to the article.

I also read bwiernik's suggestion above, but adding "special edition" in the series field doesn't make any difference to the outcome.
  • edited July 9, 2019
    For now, enter as a Journal Article. Enter the editors as Editor. The issue title as the Title. The issue and volume numbers as appropriate. And the pages and DOI if assigned.

To indicate [Special issue] or similar, add it to Extra like this:
    Medium: Special issue