import from Citavi 6.1.0 to Zotero not working

Report ID 1674209027

Hi,
I'm trying to move my Citavi (6.1.0) project from a Windows PC to Zotero on Mac. However, the following error message appears (I'm NOT importing a Mendeley database, even though the error message says so):

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Not a valid Mendeley database" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/import/mendeley/mendeleyImport.js" line: 81}]

version => 5.0.53, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.13, locale => de, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.53, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.53, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.15.SA.5.0.53, extension), Shockwave Flash (30.0.0.134, plugin)

Has anyone successfully imported a project from Citavi 6 (Cloud Version)? I would really appreciate some help, thank you!

• I don't think we have tested with Citavi 6, but it'd be surprised if that didn't work. You're following this?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/import-from-citavi
  • yes, I tried to follow this description. However, with the Citavi 6 Cloud Version, I don't get a file "*.ctv5bak" but if I save the project as a local file, I get a *ctv6. I tried to rename the *.ctv6 to *.xml but every time I import it to Zotero, I get the error message posted above
  • @zuphilip could you take a look at the ctv6 format or CTV 6 export options when you get a chance?

@iritop
    OK, this sounds like a format change -- I'm guessing it's a database file (sqlite) rather than an xml file, which is why you're getting that strange "Mendeley" error. We'll take a look, but it likely won't be quick.
  • @adamsmith, yes, I checked and it is indeed a database sqlite file, not an xml.

See the table for the different formats: https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/de/index.html?101_backing_up_your_projects.html

I'm now trying to create a backup from a local file (as an intermediate step) as it's not possible to create a backup from the Cloud-project directly.
  • Might be worth looking into the ZIP file for the "Projektkopie" -- I could see that containing XML, but obviously don't know. We're likely not going to add import capability for the sqlite -- that's going to be too much work for relatively little payoff.
  • Thank you, adamsmith! I could solve the issue above with the help of the Citavi support team. I had to rename the *.ctv5bak into *.zip, then unpack it and then rename the unpacked *.ctv6 into *.xml. I could then import the XML into Zotero.

Now I'm struggling to import the attachments. As described in the Zotero documentation, I've copied all attachments into the folder of the XML, however, Zotero doesn't import them. Is there another way of importing them?

• I had this same issue. My workaround was using the "Export citavi6 project for citavi5" (see: https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/index.html?add_on_converting_a_citavi_6_project.html ) and import it to citavi 5, then follow the normal import routine as described in the zotero kb.

When the .xml is in the "Citavi Attachments" folder Zotero will import pdfs. Although for me it did not import knowledge elements (citavi "ideas") as I don't have many in this project it doesn't worry me much though.
  • Note that the original issue for importing Citavi 6 XML has been fixed in August 2018 (maybe we should rename the translator). Thus, your workaround should not been needed. The knowledge items should be attached as notes.