email verification does not send an email...

Is there no way to get Zotero support except through a discussion?

I was a happy Mendeley user until they stopped supporting Mac... now I'm learning Zotero, and want to create a group, can't create a group until my email gets verified. I've checked junk mail and keep hitting send verification email. I've checked the email address and it is correct. Pretty frustrated about now...
  • It looks like you received the email sometime between submitting your post and now.

For other users, I'll note that email is not always instantaneous, especially within institutions, and triggering multiple identical emails is unlikely to speed things along.

Posting a discussion here on the forums is generally the way to get support.
  • OK. I am experiencing the same issue and have tried two emails over two days. Still no verification email. Should I expect to wait two days? Is this not automated?
  • @SteamInstruments: Your email address is bouncing, so further emails won't be sent. If you've resolved the server misconfiguration and have successfully sent a test message to yourself from an outside address, you can reset your Zotero password to force emails to be sent again.
  • having this same problem, its been around an hour.
  • @WillStritzel: The email was sent on our end and isn't bouncing. Check your spam folder.
  • Nothing in my spam folder. The only email I have from Zotero is a notification that you responded to my comment here.
  • I'm afraid there's nothing we can do on our end. The emails are all going out and aren't bouncing. You'd have to ask your mail server admin to check their logs.
  • edited March 26, 2021
    @WillStritzel: Actually, do you realize you have multiple addresses on the same domain associated with your account? Same deal, though. All being sent out, no bounces.
  • @dstillman yeah I used both versions of my email through my university, hoping one of them would work. isn't it weird that I'm getting Zotero notifications to that email but not the verification?
  • Sure, but it's not something we can answer — your mail server admin would need to check their logs. All we can see on our end is a successful hand-off to Amazon SES (the Amazon cloud email service) and the lack of any bounce reports for your addresses, which indicates that Amazon SES is successfully delivering the messages to your mail server.
  • So either my mail admin fixed it without telling me or the problem was caused by being on my schools network VPN.
  • VPN wouldn't be relevant. The mail is sent from our servers, so your VPN isn't involved.
  • Hi I am havnt received my verification email from Zotero. I have checked my junk
  • @piorkowskib: The emails went out on our end and didn't bounce. I'm afraid that's all we can tell you. You'll have to check with your mail provider.
  • edited July 27, 2021
    @piorkowskib: Actually, it looks like there are a couple problems:

1) You tried to verify an email address (with the shorter corporate domain of your employer) that's bouncing with "User unknown".

2) The mail server for the primary address for the account you're posting from is blocking emails from Amazon SES (the Amazon cloud email service) as spam. This includes the verification emails and also my manual response to you when you emailed us. You'll need to ask your IT department to fix that.
  • my primary email address is correct.
    please can you manually send a validation email and tell me the sender address and time stamp so my IT team can support
  • You can trigger it yourself by resetting your password. Sender is always do-not-reply@zotero.org.