Multiple libraries without data sync

I have been looking for a way to have multiple libraries in Zotero with the least amount of trouble, but without having to sync any data with the servers. One would be work oriented, the other would contain broader personal stuff.

It seems to me that there are two options:
1) multiple profiles;
2) group libraries.

The first option is more cumbersome but more "private".
The second one requires syncing data at least once for the client to create the group folder, so it's not ideal either.

Is there a way that I missed to have multiple libraries without having to switch between profiles and without sending data to the servers?
  • edited July 14, 2018
    Those are the options if you really want separate libraries. Note that with multiple profiles you can use multiple instances at the same time, though it takes some extra configuration to be able to save to both profiles, and you can only use one at a time with word processor integration.

But the easiest option is probably just to use two top-level collections for personal and work with the recursiveCollections hidden pref enabled to view all items within each. There's not really much difference between that and separate libraries.
  • Thank you for your quick response dstillman.

I was aware of multiple instances, but I must say it does seem to be a bit complicated.

I hadn't thought of using recursive collections that way, it is a very interesting suggestion. The only difference I can think of would be not having separate trash bin or unfiled items folders... I think I will try your option and see if it works for me.

One more question: if I were to create a group library, set it to private, sync it to have it appear on Zotero application, then unlink the account to prevent further sync and delete the stuff from the server, that group library would actually be a local one, right? In this case, what is Zotero policy for retaining user's data? What gets deleted actually gets deleted or the usual "no data is ever truly erased" applies?
  • The only difference I can think of would be not having separate trash bin or unfiled items folders...
    Advanced/saved searches would also be different — you wouldn't be able to easily create searches for items in a descendent collection of a given top-level collection (though, as a workaround, you could periodically do a Select All in a top-level collection, drag all items to a temporary collection, and then drag them back to the top-level collection to add them to that collection for real, and then use the Collection search condition).
    if I were to create a group library, set it to private, sync it to have it appear on Zotero application, then unlink the account to prevent further sync and delete the stuff from the server, that group library would actually be a local one, right?
    In the sense that Zotero is a local program, sure, though I wouldn't particularly recommend that, since if you ever synced in the future (e.g., because you wanted to collaborate with someone) it would delete your local library.
    In this case, what is Zotero policy for retaining user's data? What gets deleted actually gets deleted or the usual "no data is ever truly erased" applies?
    There needn't really be any data in the scenario you outline, but anything you delete gets deleted immediately, and if the data was backed up it'll disappear as soon as those backups age out after reasonable amounts of time.