How I got my library to sync: a fix

[Editor's note: This is not recommended. See below. — D.S.]

I went through all the suggestions at http://www.zotero.org/support/sync#file_syncing, plus I checked my database integrity and reset my storage history, purged my storage files, all that, tried to reset and sync from my local data -- nothing was working; I still got a yellow flag on the green curly sync arrow when I tried to sync to zotero.org, and I couldn't get anything up to the server. Had a blank library for a bit on zotero.org.

I figured it was some problem in my library with a corrupt or just overly large attachment, and I think that's been borne out. My library was very big; the zotero folder in my Firefox profile was 116Mb, and after troubleshooting, it's only 8Mb. So here's what I did:

1) I backed up the zotero folder in my Firefox folder (easy to find in Zotero Preferences --> Advanced --> Show data directory). I copied the whole folder elsewhere, and as I said, it was 116Mb. There were like 112 folders in the "storage" folder with alphabet soup names.

2) I cleaned out some references from my library that I didn't need. It might only have been this that fixed it, but I didn't delete *that* many references, so I don't think so.

3) I then exported all my collections as separate RIS files (collection1.ris, collection2.ris, etc.).

4) I turned off automatic syncing in the Zotero prefs.

5) I deleted all the references and collections within Zotero, then emptied the Zotero trash and closed Firefox.

6) I reopened Firefox and imported one collection at a time, renaming the collection from "Imported on blah blah date" to the former collection name, then manually syncing after each import and checking to make sure it worked on zotero.org.

This worked beautifully; all my collections are now in my library on zotero.org, and the Zotero folder in my Firefox profile has shrunk to 8Mb, and there's only one folder in the "storage" folder. I feel lean and clean, and now I'm going to turn automatic syncing back on.

Hope this helps.
  • I still got a yellow flag on the green curly sync arrow when I tried to sync to zotero.org, and I couldn't get anything up to the server.
    What error message did you have? Were you using WebDAV syncing?
    I figured it was some problem in my library with a corrupt or just overly large attachment
    Attachments aren't synced to the Zotero server. Disabling the WebDAV syncing should eliminate most if not all attachment issues.
    3) I then exported all my collections as separate RIS files (collection1.ris, collection2.ris, etc.).
    Note that import/export, in general, is not really recommended for backup or to "cleanup" a library. No import/export is lossless & this is particularly an issue if you use a word processor plugin. Further: RIS is a very limited, legacy format that can't ever hope to capture all of the rich data stored by Zotero. RDF is better for this.
    the Zotero folder in my Firefox profile has shrunk to 8Mb, and there's only one folder in the "storage" folder.
    But this just means you have no attachments. You could turn off snapshots & pdf capture if you don't use these features of Zotero if space was a real concern.
  • Yeah, export/import is definitely not a recommended fix for sync issues—and, as noksagt notes, it appears what you mostly did is wipe out all your attachments.
  • I didn't get any error message in FF apart from the yellow triangle; I don't remember what I got in the Terminal. No, I wasn't using and have never used WebDAV syncing; I just wanted to sync my references (sans attachments) up to zotero.org.

I did wonder whether Zotero RDF might be a better format, and if RIS hadn't worked then I'd have retried with that. I definitely didn't wipe out all my attachments, since I've still got all my notes and snapshots in my recreated client library, which is fine for me. At one point I had actually turned off PDF capture in the preferences, having determined that I didn't want to save PDFs, so if the PDFs got deleted I don't happen to mind. I've still got my original backup, anyway, so I can restore from that if necessary. Space isn't a concern for me, but I usually have an internet connection, so I'd rather not save the PDFs automatically.

I understand that you're not going to recommend import/export to fix sync problems, but just out of curiosity, would recreating the library with Zotero RDF have retained the PDFs?
  • edited June 1, 2009
    I didn't get any error message in FF apart from the yellow triangle
    There would be an error when you hover your mouse over the icon and in Report Errors under the gear menu.
    I've still got all my notes and snapshots in my recreated client library, which is fine for me.
    Can you open any of your snapshots? If what you said above about your storage folder is correct, the answer will be "no". And copying in the storage files from your backup won't fix them, as you'll have different item keys.
    would recreating the library with Zotero RDF have retained the PDFs?
    Yes, but even Zotero RDF could potentially have some data loss issues. It shouldn't, obviously, and we're in the process of building a test suite to ensure that it is lossless, but even if it were perfect you'd still have the issue noksagt mentioned of links to citations in documents being lost, which will remain the case until the word processor plugins are improved to not rely on local ids. And even then it would require Zotero to attempt to re-match all items based on metadata, which might result in disambiguation problems, etc.
  • Dan, you're right -- my snapshots got converted to links. I'll revert to my old library.

I hovered plenty over the yellow triangle and didn't get an error message, but I'll try again with "Report error" and see what I can do. I don't use the word processing plugins, so if I still have trouble syncing I might be stubborn and do the RDF import/export anyway. Thanks for writing about the data loss.
  • Make sure you turn off auto-sync before you revert to your old library, or you'll end up with duplicates. After reverting, you'll want to use Restore to Server in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero prefs.