Using Windows XP Backup with Zotero

First, let me say I love Zotero. I've been using it successfully with Open Office and my WordPress blog.

But having to close Firefox before backing up is inconvenient because I prefer to run backups automatically at night using Windows XP backup (from shadow copy) and I often forget to close Firefox. I've made backups with Firefox both open and closed and the only difference I see is that the zotero.sqlite file and zotero.sqlite.bak are a slightly different size and may have a different date if I backed up while Firefox was still running. They will be the same size and have the same date if I close Firefox first.

Since the .bak file is a backup of the actual data, it doesn't seem crucial for restoration unless there's a problem with the zotero.sqlite file. It apprears that as long as I have the storage folder and the zotero.sqlite file I should be OK, although I always back up the storage folder and both sqlite files when I backup. (I'm just using this on one PC and there's no sharing of data.)

Am I wrong? Begging for trouble? I've never had to restore the files yet.
  • Generally speaking, if you aren't actively writing to the Zotero database, it should be OK to back it up with Firefox running, but there is a very small chance that the backup could be corrupted if there were background updates to the database (translator updates or server syncs) at the exact same time. To be safe, just keep backing up both zotero.sqlite and zotero.sqlite.bak, as zotero.sqlite.bak is guaranteed to be properly closed. In 1.0.10, zotero.sqlite.bak is your database as of the last Firefox shutdown. In 2.0, it's your database as of no more than 24 hours ago, with backups made while Firefox is running. (The interval and number of backups in 2.0 are configurable in about:config via extensions.zotero.backup.interval and backup.numBackups.)
  • That info helps. I have 1.0.10 so I should shut down Firefox occasionally, especially after adding a bunch of citations to Zotero, just to update the zotero.sqlite.bak file.

As far as backing up each night automatically with Windows XP backup, it seems pretty safe even with Firefox open. Because XP Backup uses a shadow copy, it apparently doesn't have a problem with open files. I found this info about shadow copies:

{{{http://www.argentuma.com/backup/software/windows-backup.html

The unique feature of Windows Backup (Microsoft Backup) software is an ability to back up locked files. Optionally, Windows Backup creates a volume shadow copy of your data to create an accurate point-in-time copy of the contents of your hard drive, including any open files or files that are being used by the system. For example, databases that are held open exclusively and files that are open due to operator or system activity are backed up during a volume shadow copy backup. Users can continue to access the system while the backup utility is running without risking loss of data. Shadow copy backups ensure that:

* Applications can continue to write data to the volume during a backup.
    * Files that are open are no longer omitted during a backup.
    * Backups can be performed at any time, without locking out users.}}}

Thanks.