Surprising behavior when deleting tags

I wanted to delete two imported tags, so I selected both, let's say "History" and "Literature." I deleted them and got the standard warning they'd be deleted from all items. But what was actually deleted was only the intersection of the two sets.

So I was confused when "History" still appeared, on any items that had NOT had the "Literature" tag as well.

I was proud I figured it out eventually, thought others might be interested to know if it's not documented somewhere I overlooked.
  • That is definitely a weird and unexpected behavior. When you deleted the tags, did you have your library filtered on them?
  • You have to have the library filtered by multiple tags to delete them, which I think is what causes this behavior. Bulk-deleting text is not possible from the GUI at this time, though it's been requested a bunch.
  • This sounds like they are right-clicking on the tag selector and deleting the tag, which I would expect to delete them from the entire library?
  • Right, it's not actually possible to delete multiple tags at once via right-click. If you select multiple tags and then right-click on one to delete it, Zotero will just delete the tag you actually clicked. I suspect that's all @JamieMartin saw here — nothing to do with the intersection between the tags, etc.