How to adjust links in a word document from a personal library to a group library?

Dear all,

is there a way to adjust the links in a word document (16.14 for Mac) from a personal library to a group library?

This is our situation: After several years of single research we copied the big personal library of my professor to a group library, so I could work through this library. She now continues her writing and refers her bibliographical footnotes to this group library. However, the older parts of her texts refer to her personal library. Is there a smart way to adjust these links to the items in our group library? Or do we have to replace all the citations one by one with the identical one from the group library by hand?

Any help is highly appreciated!
  • I'm afraid there's no alternative to doing this manually at this time.
  • edited July 9, 2018
    Thank you for your fast reply - even though these aren't that good news…
  • We've got another idea here: Is it possible that the citation links in Microsoft Word would function after we would recopy the group library into the personal library back again? So the original data would be practically the same.

We created the group library only to let me doublecheck all the bibliographical details. After this work is done, the group library is not needed any longer… Does anybody have an experience with that?
  • I'm afraid not, no: the only way to move the group back to "My Library" would be to delete all items from My Library and empty the trash and then move the group items over, at which point they'll have a different internal ID and are no longer linked.

A better way to update items between libraries has long been discussed & planned, but I'm afraid it's not currently available nor likely going to be in the super near future.
  • I really appreciate your fast answers, thank you adamsmith. We must figure out something else then…
  • (FWIW, I think what you have is not such an unusual use case, so I think the definitely _should_ be better support)