Set `useprefix=false` for Zotero (BetterBibLaTeX)

I have an author with a "van" in his/her name -- let's call him/her Ludwig van Beethoven. I want to have him sorted under "B", and the biblatex documentation says that I should have `useprefix=false` (the default) for this. However, if I look at my .bib file that Zotero exports (using BetterBibLaTeX), it has `useprefix=true`. I cannot work out how to change this.

I've tried adding `bibtex[useprefix=false]` to the "Extra" field, but to no avail.

Assistance would be most appreciated!
  • Excellent, thank you. One adds
    bibtex[options={useprefix=false}]
    to the extras field. (I wasn't putting in the "options=" part.)

Is there some way of automating this, do you know?

Alternatively, more as a BibLaTeX question, I know there is the
    \AtEveryBibitem{\clearfield{FIELD}}
    option; is there some way that I can say
    \AtEveryBibitem{\addfield{options={useprefix=true}}?

Thanks
  • Sorry, I don’t use BibTeX ( I only use BBT to export for Markdown).

I believe the rest of the discussion is about BBT automating it based on Zotero’s conventions for particles. IF you store van at the end of the First Name field, it should be dropped automatically as required by Zotero/CSL styles. Not sure if that’s what happens with BBT.
  • With BBT, useprefix is only added if there's a non-dropping particle. Adding it to the firstname field would make BBT not produce the useprefix option.
  • Ah ok, thank you!

Unfortunately, in order to align with how the authors cite themselves on arxiv, I think I need to sometimes put it in the firstname and sometimes lastname field (annoyingly). Setting useprefix=false appears to do what I want, though :)
  • That's what the bibtex[...] syntax (or any of its variants) is for.
  • Sorry, I meant "setting useprefix=false, via the command bibtex[options={useprefix=false}], appears to do what I want, though, and so my issue is solved" :)