Capcha problems

Hello,

After downloading a few hundred references from worldcat and ebsco, I now get the following message every time I use Zotero:

Please enter the Captcha on the page that will now open and then re-try updating the citations, or wait a while to get unblocked by Google if the Captcha is not present.

I'm using firefox, but when I click OK, Chrome opens and takes me to capcha page, which, if I fill out, leads to a blank page. And it does nothing to stop future Capcha messages from popping up.

Any ideas what I can do to eliminate this? Thanks!
  • edited June 17, 2018
    It sounds like you are using the Google Scholar Citations plugin, which will overload Google Scholar’s servers if you import many items at once. Disable that plugin or wait for a while to get access to Scholar again (deleting Zotero’s cookies or changing your IP address might also help).

If you are importing a large number of items, see here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library#large-scale_imports_from_databases

for some tips.
  • Thanks for the unexpectedly quick response! Yes, you are right, I am using the google scholar plugin. Didn't even think to check that. Disabling the plugin worked for now. Thanks again!
  • @shel Please know that although Google scholar has in the past year greatly improved the metadata directly available from the site; it is always inferior to metadata available from the publisher. Best practice includes following the link to the publisher's site and using the Zotero button to download the metadata. Google Scholar is an index to the web's scholarly literature and not a curated database. Many GS records are obtained by OCR of the reference lists of pdf copies of seed articles. Errors occur when the original seed article itself has errors or when the OCR process introduces errors.
  • @DWL-SDCA It sounds like they are mostly using Google Scholar to retrieve citation counts.