Word plugin doesn't update in-text citation numbers

Report ID:1985857776

I have been adding citations (Nature style) to the same document using the Zotero Word Plugin on two different Mac computers with no issues until today. Today I inserted a few in-text citations. After clicking the refresh button, the font of the previously inserted citations changed and a blank space or two was added after most of the previously inserted citations. Additionally, the numbers of the previous citations did not update. For example, the number 44 indicates two different citations. Finally, if I try to edit old citations by highlighting the citation number and choosing "Add/Edit Citation", there is no citation to edit. However, if I highlight the blank space next to the citation number, I can edit the citation.

How can I connect the superscripted number to the citation again in this document?

If I change the style to something else (Vancouver, for example), the proper number appears next to the superscripted number. Returning to the Nature style again adds the space next to the superscripted number without removing the Vancouver number. Returning to Vancouver for a second time adds a second set of citation numbers next to the first.

An example sentence now looks like this:
...tightly controlled35(39) (39) .
  • Are you on a Mac? What specific versions of Zotero and Word are you using. This sounds like a bug that existed with Word 2016 when there was a major update to Word in version 16.9.1. Update to the current versions of both Word and Zotero and the bug should go away.
  • I'm using Word version 16.14.1 on a Mac High Sierra v 10.13.5. The zotero version is 5.0.50
  • @adomasven Anything useful in the error report?
  • I get this error, even when I create an entirely new document and add a citation for the first time:

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: 2147500034" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 197}]
  • And these errors (currently using my work computer, also Word v 16.14.1) if I copy a few paragraphs from the problem document into a brand new Word file and enter a new citation.

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: 2147500034" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 197}]

[JavaScript Error: "IndexedDB Maintenance finished with error: NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: ActorsParent.cpp:18877"]

[JavaScript Error: "Unix error 14 during operation stat (Bad address)" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]

version => 5.0.49, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.13, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.49, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.15.SA.5.0.49, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.49, extension), Shockwave Flash (30.0.0.113, plugin)
  • Actually, those errors may not be useful. I disabled the plugin for LibreOffice (since I'm using word), reinstalled the Microsoft Word Add-in, and restarted zotero. I again copied a few paragraphs from my problem document into a new word document and added a new citation. The original problem persisted (adding spaces after old citations, not updating citation numbers. However, no errors have been logged in the report.
  • I get this error, even when I create an entirely new document and add a citation for the first time:
    Are you actually getting a visible error in the new document, or are you just saying that you see an error in the "Report Errors…" window?

@adomasven will look into this, but he's away for a few more days. Unfortunately, assuming you're not seeing the same problem with new citations in a new document, I think the answer is going to be that the citations are corrupted and you'll need to recreate them. As bwiernik says, this was a problem for a short time after a major update to Word 2016 in January (which broke citation functionality in all reference managers), so if you've been working on this document since then, the corrupted citations are probably from that.

In any case, if you can wait a few more days, Adomas may be able to tell you more.
  • Thanks for the help!

I was referring to the Report Errors window, but you can disregard those messages above because they do not seem to be an issue.

I resigned myself to re-entering all 200 citations this weekend, so happily the document is now back to working condition. Hopefully it was a one time thing and the new documents don't develop the problem!
  • OK, sorry about that. Let us know if you see anything like this again.