Accidentally disabled "update citations"

One of my students apparently accidentally disabled the update citations feature in Zotero and now all the citations she added afterwards appear with a dashed underline. I re-checked the automatic update option, restarted Word, but the dashed underlines are still there... What can we do?
  • It shouldn't be necessary to do anything else, but did you try clicking Refresh?
  • I tried, and it did not refresh anything. I corrected a citation which was wrong, and clicking on refresh did not modify it in the text. I also reinstalled the Word plugin...
  • Are the citations actually still Word fields, or are they plain text?

See Word Field Codes for instructions on toggling back and forth to see what's a field.

If they're not fields, something may have been done to the document to convert those to plain text (e.g., opening and saving in Google Docs or another program), in which case the student would need to restore from a backup of the document or reinsert the citations.
  • I do not know exactly what she did, but if she reinserts the citations, it is fine. So that is what she is going to do, thanks a lot!