Zotero bibliography bug on mac

Okay, so I am finishing up my master's thesis (160 pages) on word (the most recent version) on my mac (everything is up to date as of june 11 2018). I was able to create a bibliography previously, but since I disabled automatic updates it would always just disappear when I changed citations (telling me I had to refresh). This used to work, but yesterday it really wasn't working, it was taking a long long time so I just deleted the bibliography to Insert a new one (I had previously had some success doing this). Yet since yesterday evening I haven't been able to create the bibliography.

So now when I try to put in the bibliography it either puts just one citation instead of the bibliography (as in it creates a field called {citation} and then it will ask me something yes or no about updating fields, if I say yes it will send me an error message: Document modified during update @[setCode:field.m:660], if I say NO it will change the field to an author-date citation but it won't create a bibliography)

Seriously don't know what to do...so annoying
What can I do ??
  • With a long document, doing a full refresh of the document (including updating all of the citations and the bibliography) can take some time. So, you should just let it run until it's done.

"{citation}" is just the placeholder text Zotero inserts while it is formatting the bibliography. I don't know exactly what message you are seeing, but I'd guess it's saying that you have modified a citation after it was inserted and Zotero is asking if you want to keep your modifications or revert to Zotero's automatic formatting (side note: if you want to add a page number, a note, or remove author names, you should use Zotero's functions for that rather than manually editing in your document).

If you click No, are you saying that the new "{citation}" text that appears when you insert the bibliography changes to a single citation or that it inserts an author-date citation elsewhere in your document? If the latter, I suspect that Zotero is still working to insert the bibliography (which as noted above can take some time).

Based on what happens when you click Yes, I think one of two things are happening. First, you might be editing or moving things around while you wait for Zotero to finish updating your document. Don't do that--if you move a Zotero field while Zotero is updating that can lead to corruption or errors. Second, you might have moved stuff during an update previously, and there is now a corrupt citation somewhere in your document. Go through Step 8 on this page to find the corrupt citation and replace it.