Zotero is unavailable

Hey folks,

I've really been loving zotero while it worked, but ever since it changed to the standalone it doesn't run as smoothly for me anymore. For one it keeps telling me to update when there are no updates available. But then the other day it just stopped working altogether. When I try to save an item to zotero, nothing at all happens. In the preferences it says that Zotero is currently unavailable even though it is open. Of course I checked the troubleshooting page and it turns out I can't load http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping. However, none of the suggested solutions worked for me.

I don't know if it is related, but under advanced preferences I get the following errors:
[Java Script Error: "Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. Zotero.Messaging</this.init.Zotero[ns][meth]</<@moz-extension://1082c78c-9d12-4eb6-b80d-05c45a70aa59/messaging_inject.js:73:14
" {file: "[object Object]"}"]

this comes several times, followed by several of the following:

[Java Script Error: "HTTP request has timed out after 15000 ms"]

I'm running Zotero on Ubuntu Bionic Beaver.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Luisa
  • No proxy or firewall you're aware of?
  • it turns out I can't load http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping
    So assuming Zotero is running, this means something on your computer is either preventing Zotero from binding to that port or preventing your browser from being able to load it. (Most likely the latter, but you can confirm with netstat.)
  • Thanks you two!
    @adamsmith Nope, I checked and the firewall status is inactive. No proxy either.
    @dstillman Can you be a little more specific? I just checked the netstat manpage and either I don't know what to look for or there is no hint as to how I would find out using netstat.
  • sudo netstat -pln shows listening ports.
  • Sorry for my late reply. It seems that Zotero doesn't function properly after I had my laptop in hibernate. After a fresh reboot it works just fine. Thanks for your support!