Ambiguity in documentation wording.

In "File Copies and Links" I find this phrase: "Files can be added to your Zotero library". Does "files" mean "attachments? Or does it mean entries in my library that may or may not have a file attached? (better terminology needed here)

Does "Zotero library" mean my local storage, Zotero File Storage, or both? In fact, I find this entire paragraph hard to understand.

Does "linked file" mean "link to a file" (for which I think I would say simply "link")? or a file that a link points to?

"Linked files are not synced." The link is not synced? The linked-to file is not synced? What's happening here?

If you decided to rewrite that section, make sure that you use the phrase "linked file" consistently. Is it the link or the file? Either you do not use well-defined meanings for the terms you use, or I am completely missing what you are trying to say.

Thanks!
  • Files can be added to your Zotero library as either copies or links. With copies, a copy of the original file is stored in the Zotero data directory. File copies are synced if file syncing has been set up. In contrast, when a file is linked, Zotero only stores a link to the location of the original file. Linked files are not synced.

If you have linked files and you are using Zotero on multiple computers, it is a good idea to set the linked attachment base directory so that linked files can be correctly found on each computer.
    I think you're overthinking this. Stored files are stored within the data directory and synced. Linked files are stored elsewhere on your hard drive and aren't synced. The attachment item in Zotero is synced regardless, which is how you can use linked files on multiple computers as explained in the proceeding paragraph.
    Does "Zotero library" mean my local storage, Zotero File Storage, or both?
    Zotero is a local program on your computer. Anything not referring to syncing is about the data stored on your computer. From the page: "This page describes the different ways you can add files to your Zotero library, and how added files are stored and synced."
  • Thanks. I was confused by the phrase " when a file is linked, Zotero only stores a link to the location of the original file." The original file is often on the Internet. I was also confused by mention somewhere else of adding files using a URI, so I thought this was a reference to a facility to add a link that points to a location on the Internet.

I don't think I expressed my question about Zotero Library well enough. But here's what I understand now: "Zotero library" are files stored locally. "Zotero File Storage" are files stored on a Zotero server, and are used only for syncing.

How does all that sound? (I still find the wording ambiguous, but maybe that's just me.)
  • That’s correct.