Omission of 'short title' in CMS 17

Since CMS 17, it is no longer necessary to mention the short title of a book if the book was already cited before on the same page. This works of course fine in a personal word document, but I wonder what happens when I submit a manuscript to a publisher, who changes layout and page settings.
Is it possible to have a version of the CMS17 style which does still use short titles for every footnote? Or would you recommend me to return to CMS16 to do that? Is the old 'CMS 16 full note (no ibid)-style still available somewhere?
  • Zotero's behavior for including short titles or not is not dependent on citations being on the same page (in fact, Zotero has no way of knowing whether citations are on the same page or not). Whether a citation includes the short title or not is determined by whether the immediately previous citation was to the same work (no short title is used) or to a different work (short title is used).

I would honestly not worry about this. The publisher will likely change your footnotes to include short titles or not according to house style during typesetting, or else it would be very easy to add short titles where necessary during page proofing (as the short title would always be given in the immediately previous footnote).

If you want a style that always gives the short title, you can use the Society of Biblical Literature style, which is very similar to Chicago and always uses the short title: https://www.zotero.org/styles/society-of-biblical-literature-fullnote-bibliography