Can't save from ScienceDirect

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't Save to Zotero.
  • I have the same question that nothing happens when I click the Z button within FF. The URL is https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264999316306733
  • This is site specific. Please start a new thread and, like kmj104, carefully run through the translator troubleshooting steps and provide all requested information.
  • When this was split to this new thread my post (below) was omitted. My post is relevant here but not to the other thread. My post:

FYI for the past 2 or 3 days we have a similar but intermittent issue with ScienceDirect. Actually, it seems to be two problems.

Sometimes the article pages do not completely load because of delays from ad-servers. (the Zotero icon doesn't change to an article icon for many minutes. This issue exists with or without ad-blocking software. I can sometimes overcome this by reloading the webpage. Other times, I must wait an hour for the ScienceDirect site to get back to normal.

Sometimes, although the Zotero icon quickly converts to an article icon, clicking on the article icon appears to not initiate a transfer of metadata or PDF. Again, I can usually fix this by reloading the page and trying a second (or sometimes a third) time.

My advice from experience: don't spend much time waiting for action. Try to reload the page if you don't have success in, say, 5 seconds. If the Zotero icon doesn't change to an article icon, wait several minutes before trying again.

edit: @adamsmith I don't know enough about how ad networks work to explain why reloading or waiting will fix the problem. I'm guessing that the ScienceDirect site is cycling different different ad server links depending upon whin the request hits. The problem also seems to differ depending on where geographically the user's request originates (West Coast USA, Eastern Canada, India) and whether the request is made through a proxy or VPN.