error - cannot generate bibliography

I'm trying to generate a bibliography on a Libre Office .odt document using the Zotero plugin -- "Add/Edit bibliography" button but I get an error saying: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. An error occurred communicating with Zotero: com.sun.star.lang.illegalArgumentException, etc." Could you help please? I'm using Ubuntu 16.04, Libre Office 5.3.3.2, Zotero stand-alone 5.0.47 and the Zotero plugin for integrating with LibreOffice.

Thanks in advance.
  • Could you submit a Report ID?
  • Hello and thanks for responding. The report ID is 1755310855.
  • Did you submit this Report ID after receiving the error (without having restarted Zotero)? If not, could you produce this error in LO again and submit another Report ID? If this is what you did already, could you copy the text of the error exactly as you see it?
  • Hello,

I had indeed closed Zotero, however, I reproduced the error on LO before submitting my report. I have now submitted another report, ID no. is: 1835130216. Here's the text of the error I'm receiving:

Zotero experienced an error updaing your document. An error occurred communicating with Zoter: com.sun.star.lang.illegalArgumentException:
    at com.sun.star.bridhes.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(NativeMethod)
    at
    com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:185)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy17.compreRegionEnds(UnknownSource)
    at
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.prepareMultiline(ReferenceMark.java:456)
    at
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.ReferenceMark.setText(ReferenceMark.java:155)
    at
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.omp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:143)
    at
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:61)
    at
    org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:84)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
  • Does bibliography generation work in a new document?
  • edited May 17, 2018
    Are you trying to insert the bibliography into a footnote, endnote, table, caption, texfield or similar?
  • Yes, it does (oops!) but it doesn't work in any of my older documents, unfortunately, not just the one I'm trying to generate a bibliography for.
  • Could you run through the debugging broken documents steps? If you manage to fix the error, that's fine, and if not, could you send an isolated snippet that doesn't work to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • Just in case this helps anyone, the problem was caused by the fact that I tried to generate a bibliography in the space below the footnotes which had been placed at the end of the document (NOT the end of the page) on my LO document. For some reason Zotero didn't like this. However, when I placed the cursor at the end of the text but BEFORE the start of the footnote section, the bibliography was generated without any problems. Once again, the issue affects the generation of bibliographies on LibreOffice -- native documents (.ODT) using the Zotero plugin.
  • Yes, Zotero can only insert the bibliography within the main text of the document (which is why I asked you earlier whether you were trying to insert it into a footnote, endnote or similar).