Full "previously published as" citation within Extra field for APA?

Hello,

First, thanks for continuing to develop and support Zotero. It's awesome. I'm using it to manage citations for my doctoral thesis.

Some of the works I am citing in my dissertation were previously published as journal articles, and have subsequently been collected as chapters in a print book. The journal chapters are no longer widely available, so the print edition is the best source to cite. However, I would like to include the original publication information in my bibliography.

I looked at https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields#citing_fields_from_extra, and I didn't see a clear way to accomplish this from the documentation. (And I don't know if the APA 6 CSL supports it, but I could always add some fields for to a local CSL if need be.)

It would be nice if there were some way simply to append a field to the end of a citation, so that whatever miscellaneous comments the author wished to add could easily be added. (I realize this might not agree with your design philosophy, but it would solve my current problem and possibly other similar problems for other folks.)

In the current implementation, is there any way to do this?

Thanks!
  • Generally, APA would recommend just citing the version that is more widely available, along with the original date. Add that to Extra like this:
    Original Date: 1964

If desired, you could also add additional information in brackets after the title by adding it to Extra like this:
    Medium: Article originally published in <i>Journal</i>
  • Well, normally I'd be into brevity, but I'd like this article to serve as a reference to illuminate research into my obscure field. The APA 6 manual is equivocal: in citation example 21 (pp. 203–204) it follows the usage you recommend, but in example 26 (p. 204), there is a whole slug at the end along the lines of: (Reprinted from Complete Citation blah blah blah.)

I have stumbled upon a solution!
    Simply including all the info after original-date: like this:
    original-date:1989 in <i>My Favorite Obscure Journal, 6,</i> pp. 3–10.

And I get
    Author, T. (2005). Test item. In Fixing problems with bibliographic references (pp. 182–188). Portland, OR: Anyways Press. (Original work published 1989 in My Favorite Obscure Journal, 6, pp. 3–10.)

Thanks for your help, @bwiernik
  • That won't quite work, as the non-date bits will get removed by Zotero's date parser.

Instead, as the reprinted article is published as a book chapter, I recommend you just store the original publication information in Edition:
    reprinted from <i>My Favorite Obscure Journal, 6,</i> pp. 3–10

While also keeping the original publication date in Extra:

(Note that you should not include a "." with the reprinted information, as APA does not generally want full stops inside of parentheses, and you can use the more-readable "Original Date:" rather than "original-date:")

If you really, really want the original year and publication in the same set of parentheses, I can help you make that work, but it would involve installing a custom version of the apa.csl style file.
  • I have a similar, although slightly different problem:
    If I write a text and lets say use a translation, and if want to include the year of the original publication and the year of the translation, how do I do this?
    Example
    Leenhardt, Maurice (1947/1983) Do kamo. Die Person und der Mythos in der melanesischen Welt, Frankfurt/Main, Berlin, Wien

1947 the work was published in French
    1983 it was published in German.
    How do I manage a citation style with the two dates within brackets like (1947/1983)
  • edited July 18, 2018

original-date: 1947
    in the Extra field will do just this, but it needs to be implemented in the citation style. Which one are you using?
  • You can also write this in Extra using the simpler format as:
    Original date: 1947
  • I 'm new to Zotero and like it very much. However, I'm a novelist and work with historical materials. I do not need to export a bibliography, but I do need a field for "Original Publication Date" for sorting, and wish Zotero would add a field for this. Since I use Extra for other purposes, I now cut the edition pub date from the "Date" field, add a comma to the publisher and paste it in, then type the original pub date into the now empty "Date" field. It is a bit of a nuisance, but it works well enough.

Should I want to use the Extra field for this purpose, you say to write in: "original date: 1947". Do you mean type that every time I fill in that field? If so, may I suggest Text Expander.
  • Yes, you need to type "Original date: 1947" for Zotero to be able to include that in the bibliography correctly. If you place that at the top of Extra, you can both sort on Extra in the middle pane of Zotero and have access to it for citations.
  • edited March 28, 2019
    The "original date: " in the Extra field is not helpful for translated books. The result is something like:

For Citations: Carl Schmitt, “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State,” in The Challenge of Carl Schmitt, ed. Chantal Mouffe, trans. David Dyzenhaus, Phronesis (1930; repr., London: Verso, 1999), 195–208.

For Bibliography: Schmitt, Carl. “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State.” In The Challenge of Carl Schmitt, edited by Chantal Mouffe, translated by David Dyzenhaus, 195–208. Phronesis. 1930. Reprint, London: Verso, 1999.

Obviously, a translation is not a reprint. Instead, the outcome should look like:

For Citations: Carl Schmitt, “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State,” in The Challenge of Carl Schmitt, ed. Chantal Mouffe, trans. David Dyzenhaus, Phronesis (London: Verso, 1999 [1930]), 195–208.

For Bibliography: Schmitt, Carl. “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State.” In The Challenge of Carl Schmitt, edited by Chantal Mouffe, translated by David Dyzenhaus, 195–208. Phronesis. London: Verso, 1999 [1930].

Alternatively, I could use:

For Citations: Carl Schmitt, “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State” [1930], in The Challenge of Carl Schmitt, ed. Chantal Mouffe, trans. David Dyzenhaus, Phronesis (London: Verso, 1999), 195–208.

For Bibliography: Schmitt, Carl. “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State” [1930]. In The Challenge of Carl Schmitt, edited by Chantal Mouffe, translated by David Dyzenhaus, 195–208. Phronesis. London: Verso, 1999.

Basically, anything that gives the original date is optimal, so long as it doesn't suggest the book is a reprint. What's the easiest way to do this? I know for books, the second is super easy - not sure for articles. Is there a way to remove the quotation marks from a section of the journal article title? (E.g. “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State” [1930], rather than “Ethic of State and Pluralistic State [1930]".)
  • Bumping in case someone hasn't seen this
  • I don't think there's a way to do this without modifying the citation style. Chicago is a super flexible style and thus hard to automate and we picked the version of original date that's most explicitly referenced (the Manual doesn't list original dates of publication in its examples of original dates of publication, e.g).
  • How would I modify the citation style to do this?
  • The general instructions are here, https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step but this isn't a trivial change, especially not with Chicago style, so you may find this hard to implement (and I unfortunately don't have the time to provide a play-by-play).