Losing references when synching

In my local 'My Library' I pressed the 'sync' button, expecting the local list to transfer to the Zotero.org version, but instead all the entries in my local library disappeared, I'm guessing because the online library was empty.
Could someone kindly explain why this happened, and how to avoid it in future?
Many thanks,
Frith
  • PS: the publication lists I'd saved in two backup collections also disappeared. Help!
  • Start by making a back-up copy of your Zotero data folder
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data

Items should only be deleted during sync if they were actively deleted (i.e. moved to the trash). Just syncing with an empty library would do exactly what you'd expect it to.

Was this a computer with multiple profiles?

And you're not seeing the deleted items in the Zotero trash either?
  • Thanks Adam.
    It is a computer with multiple profiles, yes. No, the deleted items are not in the trash, either on Zotero.org or on my local version. And the items disappeared also from two extra collections I'd created to use as backups.
    I'll read your link above to find out how I should have made 'a back-up copy of my Zotero data folder', as I don't seem to have done this correctly.
    I've just tried synching with an empty Zotero.org library again, and this time it worked, the items in my 'test' collection appeared in the online library.
    I'm concerned that I can't be certain if it will work, or delete the items in the local collection. Any tips?