Full/Abbreviated Citation Failure

Hello,

I am having a problem with Zotero not inserting abbreviated citations. I will add a new source to a document but then when I quote it a second time and add a citation, Zotero will not insert the abbreviated citation but instead, inserts another full citation. I am on a strict word count and so the additional words in the second (third, etc.) full citation are unnecessary. Could you please advise me how to fix this. I have tried syncing again from the toolbar but it doesn't make a difference.

Thank you for your assistance.
  • Which citation style?
  • Chicago Style, 17th edition, full note. Thanks for your consideration.
  • I am still learning my way around Zotero but I just found the style preferences. Is there some way to change the style so that I get the full citation on the first reference and then the abbreviated one on any subsequent reference?
  • I am not sure if it matters but a lot of my resources are recorded in Zotero as "interviews" items.
  • How exactly are you inserting references? Are you using the Add/Edit Citation button in the Zotero tab/toolbar in Word/LibreOffice?
  • But also, interviews are a bit of a special case. Could you check whether this is working correctly for more standard references like books or journal articles?