XML is not a supported format?

Tried to import EndNote XML file in BibTeX and RIS styles
from EndNote X8.2 on a Windows 7 PC
to my new Zotero standalone 5.0.47 on a Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4
Continually got the message:
"The selected file is not in a supported format."
Clicked through the links to see that Zotero does support EndNote XML files.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
  • Followed, to the letter, with ResMan export style.
    .data and .txt and .xml all on desktop.
    Neither .txt or .xml will import into Zotero.
    Same message each time:
    "The selected file is not in a supported format."
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.
  • Could you post a brief excerpt from the top of the exported file here? Simply open in a text editor and copy the first ca. 20 lines here. Make sure to put <code> at the beginning and </code> at the end of the pasted text so the forum doesn't swallow the xml.
  • Yes. Thanks. This is the start of the XML file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><xml><records><record><database name="FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl" path="/Users/rh/Desktop/FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl">FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="18.2">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>13720</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="dsfxde95ea2vrmezdvj5exebrap0xved02ea">13720</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Book">6</ref-type><contributors><authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Wallace Collection (London England),</style></author></authors></contributors><titles><title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">A general guide to the Wallace Collection</style></title></titles><pages><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">126 p.</style></pages><keywords><keyword><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">.</style></keyword></keywords><dates><year><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">1958, 1976</style></year></dates><pub-location><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">London</style></pub-location><publisher><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Printed for the Trustees by W. Clowes</style></publisher><call-num><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">N1160 .A55 1958&#xD;708.2</style></call-num><abstract><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Art England London Catalogs</style></abstract><notes><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">ill. ; 19 cm.</style></notes><urls></urls></record><record><database name="FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl" path="/Users/rh/Desktop/FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl">FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="18.2">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>13445</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="dsfxde95ea2vrmezdvj5exebrap0xved02ea">13445</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Book">6</ref-type><contributors><authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Thomas, Bob</style></author></authors></contributors><titles><title><style
  • Yes, Zotero should absolutely import that. Try resetting translators from the advanced tab of the Zotero preferences and try again.
    If that doesn't help, could we get a debug ID from Zotero for such a failed import attempt?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • Just FYI, here's the start of the txt file, which also returned the "file not supported" message on the Mac. Again, I followed the directions to the letter.
    Interestingly, the txt file DOES import into a new Zotero standalone on the Windows 7 machine, but v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, maybe one entry per second for 9100 entries.
    --------
    TY - BOOK
    AB - Art England London Catalogs
    AU - Wallace Collection (London England)
    CN - N1160 .A55 1958
    CY - London
    KW -.
    N1 - ill. ; 19 cm.
    PB - Printed for the Trustees by W. Clowes
    PY - 1958, 1976
    SP - 126 p.
    ST - A general guide to the Wallace Collection
    TI - A general guide to the Wallace Collection
    ID - 13720
    ER -

TY - BOOK ....
    --------
    When (if) the txt file finishes loading into the new Zotero on the Windows 7 machine, I will take that file and try to use it with the Mac Zotero.
    Thanks.
  • That's RIS, not Endnote XML. Either you followed the "alternative" instructions or Endnote is misbehaving.
  • Debug IDs:
    D1871119228 for the txt import fail
    D1614461336 for the xml import fail.
    Thanks.
  • Did you try resetting translators on the Mac as I suggested above?

If you do succeed on Windows, don't reimport the file on Mac. Instead see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
  • Wow. Thanks adamsmith. After all that struggle, resetting translators worked for importing the txt file. Wish I could try it on the xml file, but I'm not about to risk what I've got, unless it would solve the next problem:
    Any idea how to get the abstract field to recognize carriage returns/paragraph marks? Lists in the original abstract field appear as a string of words. I've been through the forum, and this problem appears not to have been resolved.
    Thanks again.
  • XML would probably solve that problem, yes.
  • Something failed. Still no carriage return/paragraph marks in the Zotero abstract fields.
    Here is the beginning of the XML file that EndNote exported. Is it really an XML file? If so, why does Zotero not interpret " " as carriage return? Should I replace "&#xD" with " " (carriage return; line feed)? What symbol/s would Zotero interpret as carriage return/paragraph?
    Many thanks.
    -------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><xml><records><record><database name="FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl" path="C:\Users\Video\Desktop\FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl">FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="18.2">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>7051</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="dsfxde95ea2vrmezdvj5exebrap0xved02ea">7051</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Book">6</ref-type><contributors></contributors><titles><title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">handwritten notes</style></title></titles><dates></dates><accession-num><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">2105</style></accession-num><abstract><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">scotland&#xD;&#xD;siege of delhi&#xD;donald dhu&#xD;pipe band beatings&#xD;scotland the brave&#xD;badge of scotland&#xD;farewell to gibraltar&#xD;barren rocks of aden&#xD;blue bonnetts ower the border&#xD;bonnie dundee&#xD;general salute&#xD;strathspey&#xD;reel&#xD;bugle beatings&#xD;cheer, boys, cheer&#xD;red coat&#xD;highland brigade at magersfontein&#xD;sweet maid of glendaruel&#xD;sons of flodden&#xD;duke of sutherland&apos;s march&#xD;battle of the somme&#xD;boatman&#xD;bonnie country garden&#xD;back of the change house&#xD;kilt is my delight&#xD;road to the isles&#xD;on the banks of&#xD;high road to linton&#xD;25th farewell to rangoon&#xD;blair drummond&#xD;highland wedding&#xD;lady dorothea stewart murray&apos;s wedding march&#xD;argyles march&#xD;louden&apos;s bonnie woods&#xD;leaving lunga&#xD;gordon&apos;s march&#xD;siege of delhi&#xD;major mclennan&#xD;25th k.o.s.b&apos;s. farewell to meerut&#xD;auchmountain&apos;s bonnie glen&#xD;highland wedding</style></abstract><label><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">10.5</style></label><notes><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">TB&#xD;handwritten notes</style></notes><urls></urls></record><record><database name="FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl" path="C:\Users\Video\Desktop\FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl">FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="18.2">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>7054</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="dsfxde95ea2vrmezdvj5exebrap0xved02ea">7054</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Book">6</ref-type><contributors></contributors><titles><title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Bookcase with clippings, handwritten notes</style></title></titles><dates></dates><pub-location><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">n/p</style></pub-location><publisher><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">n/p</style></publisher><accession-num><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">2105</style></accession-num><label><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">10.5</style></label><notes><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Bookcase with clippings, handwritten notes</style></notes><urls></urls></record><record><database name="FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl" path="C:\Users\Video\Desktop\FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl">FD BOOKS abstract-Converted.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="18.2">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>7058</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="dsfxde95ea2vrmezdvj5exebrap0xved02ea">7058</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Book">6</ref-type><contributors></contributors><titles><title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">The New York dance directory</style></title></titles><pages><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">v.</style></pages><dates></dates><pub-location><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">[New York,</style></pub-location><publisher><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Leisure Press]</style></publisher><call-num><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">GV1624.5.N4 N4</style></call-num><abstract><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Dancing New York (City) Directories. [from old catalog]</style></abstract><notes><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">23 cm.&#xD;Unknown</style></notes><urls></urls></record><record><database ...

--------
  • I don´t think we´re trying to parse XML escaped characters inside XML nodes. I´d honestly have to test myself, but first thing I´d try is indeed if Zotero imports straight linebreaks as such.