Sharing 'My Library'

Please could someone tell me whether it is possible to share 'My Library' with another Zoter user, and if so how to do this? I can see the items in my library on my local copy of Zotero, and also from the webpage.
Many thanks
Frith
  • Exactly as asked, the answer is no. Could you describe what you're trying to do more specifically (e.g., have an assistant enter data, pass on references to a colleague, etc.)? We can likely suggest some other reasonable way to achieve that.

• Thank you for your response, as prompt as always!
    I need to edit a collection a friend has created in his local copy of Zotero. I was hoping he could just 'share' it with me somehow.
    Trying another way, I've created a 'group' and he's joined it, but he needs to know how to transfer his library to the group library. He's not very confident with techie stuff, so I need to give him a step-by-step guide.
    Most grateful for your help,
    Frith
  • Groups will work for this, but there are significant limitations: While it's easy to get the items to the group -- you can just drag collections over -- getting them back to My Library is a bit of a mess. The only way that will work would be to delete all items in My Library, empty the trash and then move them back using drag&drop. This works but does break any links to existing Word/LibreOffice documents.

The way I would do this is to set up a separate profile for Zotero and then sync with his account (probably with file sync disabled to make this quicker unless you need to remove/attach/change files), make the changes I want and sync those back, then remove that profile again.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/multiple_profiles
    A bit more complex to set up on your end, but foolproof on his end, which it sounds like is your main concern.
  • Great, thanks Adam - I'll play around with this and see what I can do.
    All best wishes,
    Frith
  • Right, I've set up the profile and looked up how to sync. But how do I access his library to sync with it?
  • You'd need to get his username & password
  • Many thanks, Adam.
    Frith
  • Sorry Adam, I still seem to be stuck. I've now created the new profile and have my friend's Zotero.org login name and password.
    My local Zotero now asks which profile I want before I press 'start Zotero'. It starts, and I assume I'm then 'in' local Zotero, using the new profile.
    I thought I'd then need to go into Zotero.org using my friend's login, find his directory and open it, then go back into the library in the new profile and ask it to sync with Zotero.org.
    However, when I try to open Zotero.org using his details I get Error/Access denied/You do not have access to this area.
    Oops, I just tried that again to check I've given you accurate info, and this time it let me log into Zotero.org as my friend. However, 'My Library', in his version, is empty. I then logged out and tried to log in to Zotero.org again as myself, and got the error message!
    Where am I going wrong?
    Thanks in advance for your patience,
    Frith
  • Hello,
    I want to share my library with my advisor. The library is including more than 150 references. Could you please let me know how I can do that?
  • Your best option is to create a group and invite your advisor to join the group. You can drag-drop the items, you want to share, from your "My Library" to the group library. Both of you need to have sync enabled.

Note that if you update an item in the group, the "same" item in your My Library will not be updated (or vice versa).