Confidential documents in a Zotero library; selective access for an assistant

I have a large library-archive in Zotero that includes academic articles, video documentaries, audio files and manuscripts (published and unpublished). There are currently about 4000 items (90gb of data). I am a teacher and researcher and it is of great benefit to have these diverse media with linked notes and citation information in a single location.

The entire library is synced between my computer and Zotero cloud storage.The items are organised in collections and sub-collections, with a limited use of tags. It is all working fine.

My question—below—is about the best way to organise selective access to the library on the part of my assistant.

Most of the items need work on their citation information—many of them are without parent files at all, having been uploaded to Zotero from various sources en masse. I do some of this data entry and my assistant does the rest, which I check. The work frequently requires access to the documents in question, of course, as well as online searches for sources of citation data. There are constant uploads to the library, requiring further citation data entry.

I use Zotero directly on my computer, while my assistant accesses my library through the Zotero web interface on theirs. They use my Zotero password for access, so they currently have read/write access to the entire library.

Here is my question. Some of the documents in the library are confidential—such as letters and journals, my own and others'. I would prefer not to put my assistant, or a future assistant, in the position of having access to these. What, then, is the best way of giving someone selective access to folders within a library for purposes of entering and checking citation information? (The confidential documents are in separate folders.)

For future purposes I have tried setting up a private group with two members—myself and my assistant—both of us with view and edit privileges—but the group library does not integrate so easily with with the main collection, requiring frequent manual import and export of citation files and linked documents. I'll be very grateful if anyone can suggest a better way.
  • Permissions apply to an entire library. There isn't a way to restrict access to documents in a collection (at least not one that is easy to maintain without error).

An immediate solution might be to remove the confidential items to a group library to which you have sole access. Beyond that, sharing read/write access to "My Library" is something to avoid for a bunch of reasons, so arranging your workflow for incoming documents around a shared-access "buffer" or "capture queue" library would seem to be the way to go. (That said, others may have better suggestions.)
  • Thank you. I will start using a shared-access buffer library as you suggest, pending any other suggestions for a more streamlined work flow

• An alternative to working with groups (which is a very good suggestion; just suggesting a different approach in case it doesn't work for your) would be to "link" rather than "attach" confidential documents. Linked files live anywhere on your harddisk and are still accessible from your local copy of Zotero, but do not sync online or to other copies of Zotero.
  • Thanks, Adam. There is no way to sync entries in a group library with My Library, is there?
  • no there isn't currently.
  • (Better ways to do this sort of thing are planned, though — we know this is an area that needs improvement.)
  • Thanks. I'll be patient.