Zotero Toolbar does not appear in Word 2011

I am trying to use Zotero in its new standalone version, after years of using it successfuly from within Firefox.

I've got the Zotero database working in the standalone, but I can't get the cite while you write function working in Word 2011. The Zotero Bibliographic Management tab is checked in Word in the "View-->Toolbars-->" menu, but I don't actually see the Toolbar anywhere.

I've tried following the instructions from the FAQ about reinstalling from the Zotero Preferences-->Cite window, but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions? Do I need to upgrade my version of Word?

Thanks in advance.
  • Do you see the Zotero functions listed in the applescript menu (like here?)
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_toolbar_in_word_2008_plugin
    There should be a toolbar in Word 2011, but we've seen a couple of cases where it doesn't show up.
  • Note that the toolbar for Word 2011 is a floating toolbar, so it might be hard to spot initially. See the screenshot second from the bottom on this page:

http://libguides.libraries.claremont.edu/c.php?g=317315&p=2119301

You should also have a script menu with Zotero options, including shortcut keys that you can use, as pictured in the bottom image.
  • Thanks--yes, I do see the Zotero functions in the applescript menu. I hadn't noticed that. I still don't see the floating toolbar, which I remember being small and sometimes hard to spot when I used it before in the Firefox version.

If there is a way to find the toolbar I'd like to know, as I prefer this to the applescript menu. In a pinch, though--I'll be able to keep working without the tool bar.
  • Best I can suggest is toggling it off and on and looking for anything changing. If it shows in the View menu it really should show up (but it's possible it could be, say, mostly off the screen).

You could try removing the Zotero.dot file from /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word, restarting Word, making sure it's gone, and then reinstalling from Zotero, but there's no particular reason that would help.

Also make sure you're using the last version of Word 2011, which is 14.7.7.

(For what it's worth, if you can get comfortable with them, the shortcut keys (shown in the Script menu) are by far the fastest way of using the plugin.)
  • Thanks so much for your help--I'll learn the shortcut keys. I'm sure you are right that it will be quicker that way.