#broken tag on attachments

• Now, on my Zotero, there is a new item tag, #broken attachments. But when I go to these attachments, the links are, in almost every case, not broken, but intact and working. It has flagged almost a thousand of these in our bibliography project. Something is not working right here.
  • Such a tag isn’t anything that Zotero would add. Do you have any add-ons installed?
  • Emiliano's storage scanner adds that tag.
  • The scanner doesn't run on a schedule. It goes through your whole library during scan so it's potentially very slow. If you want it to update it must be run again.

On a new run, #broken tags for attachments that are not broken should be removed. If that's not the case, please report an issue on the GitHub page of the storage scanner.
  • Odd. I didn't add any new add-ons--it just suddenly appeared at the top of the tag list in the bottom of my group libraries window on the left. It also shows up at the top of the tag list on the page for my group on the web:

https://www.zotero.org/groups/73933/h-buddhism_bibliography_project/items/top?

I checked my add-ons list, and there is nothing there.

This doesn't do any real harm, but it is useless and misleading, since the so-called "broken tags" are actually not broken.
  • Maybe I should install the add-on and see if running it fixes this?
  • edited April 26, 2018
    If you don't have the scanner installed, then it obviously isn't the scanner that is generating these tags. I don't know how they got there, even if, as @adamsmith points out, the scanner is the most likely culprit to have generated them.

The only thing I can think of (still assuming that you do not have the scanner installed) is that you have this library shared with someone but haven't synced the attachments, and that this other person has run the scanner. That would tag the attachments as broken on their end (and they would be), but the tags would sync to you.

If you want to fix this quickly, you can just delete the #broken tag. No need to install any plugins.
  • That explanation makes sense. There are 140 or so people in this group, so I guess any one of them could have run the scanner. I've deleted the #broken tag, and that seems to do the trick. Thank you.
  • I don't trace who runs the scanner, so you'll have to find out who did and discourage them from doing so in the future yourself. The scanner does not distinguish between groups and personal libraries, it just runs over all references.