Question...

Under “Security of Zotero Data,” I read:

“Unlike many cloud-based tools, the Zotero desktop application is a local program that runs on your computer and saves all research data locally by default. Unless you explicitly set up syncing, your research data never leaves your computer.”

Does this mean that if I have two computers running Zotero, I can merge the data in one with the data in the other, which may be different in part of in whole, and do this without recourse to syncing? If the answer is “yes,” then how is this done? In short, where do I find the instructions that would enable me to do this? Thank you.
  • Note you triple-posted this.

But: No. There is no "offline" sync capability & the text you quoted doesn't seem to mention or imply a workflow for multiple computers.

You can, of course, replace the database on one computer with the one on a second computer. But you'd lose any changes made on that first computer.

You can also export a set of references on the second computer and import them onto the first computer. But this does not address record changes/deletions, that import/export is not lossless, and the refrences would have different unique identifiers (making it harder to work with things like the Word Processor plugins).
  • edited April 22, 2018
    (@poirmw: In addition to not creating duplicate threads, please do take the time to write more descriptive thread titles, as you've done in the past. Using titles like "Question..." or "Problem..." makes it much harder for the people responding to you to keep track of threads and for people with the same question to find answers.)
  • @dstillman context for these weird double-posts which I don't think are intentional here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/305356/#Comment_305356