APA 6 inverted sorting on in-text citation

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Zotero so maybe it's just a silly mistake, but I didn't find any solution in the forums.

I'm trying to cite the following journal articles:

Tsang, S., Piquero, A. R., & Cauffman, E. (2014). An Examination of the Psychopathy Checklist: Youth Version (PCL:YV) Among Male Adolescent Offenders: An Item Response Theory Analysis. Psychological Assessment, 26(4), 1333-1346. doi: 10.1037/a0037500

Tsang, S., Schmidt, K. M., Vincent, G. M., Salekin, R. T., Moretti, M. M., Odgers, C. L. (2015). Assessing Psychopathy Among Justice Involved Adolescents With the PCL: YV: An Item Response Theory Examination Across Gender. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment, 6(1), 22–31. doi: 10.1037/per0000094

First authors are the same person. According to the APA Style guide, the in-text citation should look like (Tsang et al., 2014, 2015). However, Zotero Word plugin sorts it as (Tsang et al., 2015, 2014). Of course, I can correct it by unchecking the "Keep sources sorted" option - still, I would like to know if this a problem with the plugin, if I'm missing something obvious or if there was an update to the style that I'm unaware of.

I appreciate any help. Cheers!
  • Neither of these are correct APA style. APA adds authors before et al. to disambiguate, i.e. correct would here would be (Tsang, Piquero et al., 2015; Tsang, Schmidt et al., 2014) and Zotero's APA style should be doing this .

(it'd also add an ampersand for the second citation use an en-dash for the page range of the first, and use the new https://doi.org/ format for DOIs)

How exactly are you generating these citations?
  • Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is the second citation of the 2014 article. My bad.

Regarding the 2015 article, I followed the guide orientation for works with six or more authors. I'm aware of the "[...] cite the surnames of the first authors and of as many of the subsequent authors as necessary to distinguish the two references [...]" rule, but it was my understanding that it should only be used when the works are from the same year - am I wrong? And still, shouldn't the older article come first?

The reference list was written manually and now I'm updating everything (yes, it's my first time using a reference manager). I wasn't even aware of the en-dash!

Thank you!

• ah sorry, you're right on the added name before et al.

For the order, they should appear in the same order as they appear in the bibliography as per APA 6.16
    "Order the citations of two or more works within the same parentheses alphabetically in the same order in which they appear in the reference list (including citations that Would otherwise shorten to et al.). "

Even if that's not chronologically, but that'd still have the Tsang, Piquero one first, so that's a bit odd. What does happen when you insert the bibliography?
  • edited April 20, 2018
    Zotero generates the reference list correctly: Tsang, Piquero (2014) comes first. Only the in-text citation is reversed.
  • OK, let me see if I can replicate this here.
  • I have this replicated and will have a fix shortly.
  • That's great! Can you elaborate on what the problem was?