Collection ******** not found for item 4/********

Hello,

We are using Zotero in an enterprise environment and are recently receiving the following error for 12 items in the Zotero library since very recently. We did not make any recent changes to our implementation of Zotero which is why we suspect it could potentially be a very simple issue caused by a user.

Could someone share their thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue? It seemed like a DB corruption issue at first but I already checked the MySQL DB and found that all the 'collectionItems' for the specified 'collection' have a corresponding record in 'items'.

Report ID: 743800703

Thanks in advance!
    You're running an outdated version of Zotero. Upgrade to the latest version.
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I found this thread describing a very similar issue which suggested it's a bug which was already fixed in 5.0.19 / 5.0.21. Is it certain that the issue will be resolved after upgrading to the latest version 5.0.45? I did notice the following line in the changelog for that release: "Fixed sync error if a collection was deleted locally and an item in that collection was modified elsewhere" and suspect it might be what caused the issue for us.

I was not able to determine data loss, so I'm assuming it's just cosmetic?

Our developer working on Zotero is currently on holiday, so it won't be until he returns we'll be able to implement our (slightly customized) Zotero (some buttons are disabled for our users). But if you have more information or could answer any of above questions I could already share some insight with my customer.

Thanks in advance!
  • I did notice the following line in the changelog for that release: "Fixed sync error if a collection was deleted locally and an item in that collection was modified elsewhere" and suspect it might be what caused the issue for us.
    That's right.

(There are also many other improvements since then. In general we can't provide support for older versions, so upgrading is the first thing you'll need to do before we can help you here.)
  • So I figured I could upgrade the client without it touching the config and managed to do a test with the latest version. The sync (to an EMPTY local DB) completes without errors now, and downloads all of the references in one of the 2 libraries (+subfolders).

However, it skips all of the items in the master/main library saying "Collection 3/7TXJGDSL not found -- skipping item". But I am able to find this collection in the SQL DB? I did notice the collectionName is not what I expected it to be - it seems to be linked to a user library and not our master group library.

Any thoughts?

FYI - I had logging enabled during the 2nd sync action but got an error when submitting it - maybe there is a size limit (HTTP POST "[JavaScript Error: "uncaught e…" (48948447 chars) to https://repo.zotero.org/repo/report?debug=1)
  • We'd have to see the debug output. If you're not able to submit it, you can save it to a text file, compress it, and email it to support@zotero.org (or upload and send a link) with a link to this thread.
  • @Tim_BE: We received the ZIP and will take a look. If you're getting a bounce notification, don't worry about it.
  • Great! Indeed I did get a bounce notification and resent the message, with only the main html file included.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Oh, wait, this is with a custom dataserver? I'm afraid we can't provide any support for syncing issues with that. You'll have to ask whoever maintains the server.
  • Basically, they'll need to look into why this is happening:
    (3)(+0000001): Refetching 1 queued collection

(4)(+0000001): SELECT key, version FROM collections WHERE libraryID=? AND key IN () [3]

(3)(+0000001): Retrieving 1 collection

(3)(+0000001): [ConcurrentCaller] Running function (0/4 running, 0 queued)

(3)(+0000001): HTTP GET https://[…]:8443/groups/1/collections?format=json&collectionKey=7TXJGDSL

(3)(+0000021): HTTP GET https://[…]:8443/groups/1/collections?format=json&collectionKey=7TXJGDSL succeeded with 200

(3)(+0000000): [ConcurrentCaller] Done with function (0/4 running, 0 queued)

(3)(+0000002): Processing batch of downloaded collections in […]

(3)(+0000000): Processing 0 downloaded collections for […]

(3)(+0000001): Removing 1 missing collection from sync queue