Word add-in not functional since yesterday

I've been working with Zotero for well over a month without a hitch - but yesterday after Zotero updated, I cannot add/edit citations in Word 2016 anymore - none of the buttons do anything inside Word.

I've tried re-installing the Word add-in. I started the debug and opened my Word file and tried using the add-in buttons (D159793407), but the only thing that happens is that Word is "de-targeted", as far as I can tell.

I am in dire need of help here - thanks in advance.
  • edited April 19, 2018
    (3)(+0000000): Integration: Request already in progress; not executing WinWord addEditCitation
    Have you tried just restarting Zotero and Word?
  • I am encountering exactly the same problem since 2 days. Un- and reinstalled Word and Zotero. Two of my colleagues are experiencing the same.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero startup through the problem occurring, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled" option?
  • I have restarted both Word, Zotero, and the computer in all combinations.

Restarted Zotero with debug and started word, opened my document and tried using the add-in buttons: D779176251
  • I just tried to insert a citation in word through the Zotero tab and logged this. D1373252606
  • So you're both getting weird filesystem errors.
    [JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIZipWriter.open]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js" line: 981}]
    (3)(+0000008): Cached 0 styles in 103 ms
    @kozzington, you have your Zotero data directory and your document on a network drive, which can often cause weird problems. You can start by trying to reset your styles from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences and seeing if that makes a difference, but you're getting file sync errors as well, so moving your data directory to the local hard drive may be necessary.
    Win error 1392 during operation remove on file C:\Users\p\Zotero\tmp\newspapers.com.js (Die Datei oder das Verzeichnis ist beschädigt und nicht lesbar.
    @p.dambach, it's not clear where your document is stored — so if it's on a network drive, the same would apply — but there is this error in your log, which doesn't bode well. That could potentially be caused by security software, or by actual filesystem corruption. I'd have to see a Debug ID from Zotero startup to tell you if there are other clear problems.
  • Thanks for looking into it! so I will send another debug ID right from Zotero startup. Here it comes: D832036445
  • That's still not from Zotero startup. You need to use the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option.
  • Sorry, just found it. This should be the correct one: D1527306223. After restarting with enabled login I tried to add a reference in word, then transferred logging.
  • @p.dambach: You're still getting the C:\Users\[…]\Zotero\tmp\newspapers.com.js error. I would try 1) deleting that 'tmp' directory manually, 2) checking your drive for errors, and 3) if that doesn't help, temporarily disabling any security software you're running.

A Debug ID from one of your colleagues experiencing the problem might also be helpful.
  • I tried deactivating the antivirus: no effect
    When trying to access the above mentioned path I get a prompt that the tmp folder is damaged and not readable.
  • OK, right, so this is just a problem with your filesystem, separate from Zotero. You'll need to debug that on your end.
  • ...and the tmp isn´t deletable either unfortunately
  • I put a copy of my directory on the desktop used that and now it works again. Thanks a lot!
  • @dstillman: Thanks a lot for your help. You were right. I deleted the zotero folder under linux (not possible under windows) and reinstalled zotero, now it works fine. Seems the folder was corrupted. Have a nice day