Call for a more informative and user-friendly right panel

edited April 19, 2018
I have used Zotero for at least 7 years. I like it very much and I am very grateful to the development team for contributing such excellent free software. Recently, Zotero's development has been boosted and new versions were released continuously.

Today I will give my suggestion on the enhancement of the right panel of Zotero.

The contents of the Zotero right panel are too redundant. This panel is mainly designed to facilitate the modification of entries in Zotero, but we basically do not use this feature. For me, I never manually modify the options here, because it's easy to make mistakes. When moving to this area, I either want to view the summary of the document, the correspondent, or to consider adding a Note, Tag, or related items. However, most of the panel's space is filled with formatted, meaningless information. To achieve this, you have to switch between different tabs, and this make me feel crazy.

I think that the right panel is almost a anti-human existence in Zotero.

I recommend increasing the experience of the right panel. This would includes:

1) Integrate multiple tabs into one, avoiding reciprocating switching.
2) Highlight meaningful information in the literature, such as abstracts, tags, notes, etc.
3) Improve the method to add related items. For example, when multiple documents are selected, the button “This is associated document” appears on the right panel.
4) While Notes were showed here, user can add notes whenever they want.

For a better Zotero!
  • Zotero will switch to a new underlying platform some time in the next 12-24months. They won't make any UI changes before that because it'd be a waste of time, but they'll likely do significant redesign work as part of the switch.

There have been several threads on the right-hand pane in the past echoing some of your points, so while people would probably disagree with some of this (e.g. I constantly use the right-hand panel to modify information since there's very little metadata that's imported perfectly), the gist of it would probably make it in a redesign.